Chapter Seventeen

For all those trolling for Ahmad's POV. ..well don't kill me,you asked for it!!!

Ahmad's POV

I can't wait to speak to Zahra again. I spoke to her just few minutes ago but I already miss her and feel like calling her again. I don't want to seem to clingy since we aren't even dating or anything. I haven't brought up anything about relationship to her since she agreed we could only be friends and every single time we talk,I feel like bringing it up but I end up being cowardly,scared that she'd run for the hills. I'm kinda just content being friends with her because this way I got to know the wild side of her. She's outgoing and has a great sense of humour and I really wish we could be more than friends.

"Ya Ahmad,Baba na kiran ka."(Baba is calling you) Came Najmin's voice bringing me out of my thoughts. "He's in the parlour." She added.

"Toh, I'm coming." I said and stood up to go and meet Baba. I wonder what he needs me for. I entered the parlour and found him sitting on the chair with his glasses hanging on his nose and a newspaper in hand.

"Assalamu Alaikum." I announced my presence.

"Wa alaikumus salaam." He answered while removing his glasses and dropping the newspaper by his side. I went over and sat on the carpet near him.

"Baba ka kirani."

"Yes Ahmad. Please listen to me very carefully. I don't know how you'll take this news but there's nothing I can really do. I've been put in a very compromising position." He said and my heart thumped.

"Baba, I'm listening,what happened?" I asked and just then Mama came inside with a downcast look. She made her way and sat down beside Baba. Now they're really scaring me. I muttered a quick prayer before Baba spoke again.

"Ahmad, I went to visit  Alhaji Aminu yesterday and na same shi cikin wani hali. He called me complaining about your cousin Husna. He said Husna is getting really hard to control. She even got expelled at her school." Baba said looking at me sighing. I don't know where this is going and what it has to do with me but I'm not sure I'll like it.

"Subhanallah,Allah ya shirya ta. But Baba, what has this got to do with me?" I asked.

Baba gave me a sad look and replied. "I was just getting there. You see Ahmad,he thinks there's nothing that will make her settle down and be responsible except marriage,so he called me and pleaded with me to join both of you in marriage."

My heart stopped right there. "Baba,wh-what did you tell him?" I asked dreading the answer.

He looked over to Mama and gave me a sad smile."I'm sorry I gave my reply before asking for your opinion but I told him that I agreed. I just couldn't say no to him son,you know everything that man has done for this family. You're a witness to that. I owe him so much for everything and I just didn't have the heart to turn him down."

The first thing that came to my head was Zahra,my Zahra. I don't even know if she'd care because I don't know if she has feelings for me but I can't even bring myself to believe what I'm hearing talk less of telling her. Marriage? With Husna? Ya Allah what have I done to deserve this?

"Baba,but I'm not even done with NYSC,I haven't even started working. Baba I'm not ready for marriage. This is a lot to take in."

"I know son,but her father agreed to take care of everything. He gave you the privilege to set the day you want the wedding to take place."

Privilege? Seriously? I looked over to Mama but she just gave me a sad smile not saying anything. I was broken,what about my Zahra,I understand where Baba was coming from but this is my life. Baba should've at least asked for my opinion first.
"But Baba I have someone." I said dejectedly using my last straw of hope. Maybe he'll change his mind if he knows I have someone.