Crystal Covering

The earth brown tunnel seemed to grow more and more narrower as you pressed on. Behind you, you could hear the sounds of fighting. Multiple impacts crashed against the cave walls. However, you could feel none of the vibrations that traveled throughout the rest of the cave. Personally, you were just worried that the cave would crash down onto you. Trying to distract yourself from that thought, you glanced down at the small silver and purple pouch. Stopping your movement, you opened the pouch and peered inside. Within the bag, you saw a small colorless rock and a stainless steel needle. Raising your right eyebrow in suspicion, you removed the needle from the pouch.

Holding it up to your eyes, you examined it more closely. To you it appeared to be an average needle and nothing more. However, you knew that the simple object was more than what it seemed. Waving it around in the air, you tried to see if anything would happen. When nothing occurred, you sighed in frustration.

"Maybe it is just a needle. Thanks Lucian, when I ask for a weapon I get a needle," you mumbled quietly to yourself.

Staring once again at the tiny object, you rested your left hand on your hip.

"How am I supposed to use you? I need a more practical and useful weapon."

Just as your last words left your mouth, the needle began to wiggle and vibrate. Startled, you dropped the needle to the ground. Watching it curiously, you witnessed the needle growing in size until it reached four feet in length. The eye of the needle had become the handle and hilt of the sword, forming a rapier type sword. Stunned, you picked up the needle sword and were surprised to find it extremely light. You wanted to swing it a bit in order to test it, but the limited space in the tunnel prevented you from doing so. Knowing the capabilities of the needle, you wanted to return the needle back to its original size, so you could maneuver around the tunnel space more easily. Remembering the words you spoke before the needle turned into a sword, you were confident in predicting how to return the needle to its previous state.

"I need a needle."

Not a second later had the sword returned to a needle. Satisfied at knowing that you had a weapon, you placed the needle back into the pouch. Seeing the colorless rock once more, you figured that it would become a light source if you wished it. Tying the pouch back up, you attached it to the midnight blue side bow on your dress and continued down the tunnel. Thankfully the crystals on the walls illuminated your path, bringing light to the confined darkness.

You peered down the path, hoping to see a room of some sort, but no chamber greeted your (e/c) eyes. However, your disappointment was soon replaced by fear, as the ground beneath you began to shake. At first you thought that Lucian had lost the battle, but you remembered how the effects of the battle between that monster and him wouldn't reach past the barrier. Relieved at the fact that he was probably not dead, you searched for the cause of the shaking. Nothing came into your view. Moreover, you didn't have much time to look for a source, since the crystals in the tunnel began to fall from their secured spots on the tunnel walls.

Now running down the tunnel, you dodged the falling crystals. Surprised, you cursed when one of the crystals fell right in front of you. Maneuvering around the fallen shard of death, you carried on with your run for safety. Your black knee high boots pounded against the floor of the tunnel, as crystals fell to the ground below. Up ahead you could see the number of crystals receding, and the light in the tunnel decreasing. With the ability to see vanishing, you reached into the pouch at your side and pulled out the colorless rock. However, you didn't notice the threat that lay above you.

Before you could get the rock to become a light source, the sharp rock from above fell downwards. You noticed it just in time to dodge its fatal attack. Though, you weren't left unscathed. In fact the crystal still came in contact with your right arm, slicing through part of the skin. Blood ran down your arm and dripped slowly onto the shaking earth that surrounded you. Somehow you managed to hold onto the rock while you cried out in pain.

Cursing, you clutched onto the rock and yelled out, "Light!" not knowing what else to do to activate the small object that lay in the palm of your right hand.

To your relief the exclamation worked and soon the rock illuminated the area around you. Its bright light highlighted every detail of the tunnel walls. You wanted to tend to your wound, but something told you to leave the darkened area of the tunnel first. Going with your gut feeling, you pressed your left hand against the wound on your arm, attempting to stop the bleeding if only a little. Luckily, the wound wasn't a serious gash, but it still was a pretty good sized cut. Hoping to find the mask soon, you carried onwards.

Though, going down the tunnel you were surprised to find more crystals down the path. Walking further into the lighted darkness, you saw more and more of the strange crystals. These crystals were different from the previous ones due to their coloration. Instead of the light-green and pale-blue rocks, they were the color of plum purple and only glowed faintly under the light of the rock in your hand.

Finding yourself entranced by the crystals, you reached out to touch one, but quickly drew your hand back when you saw a flash of green shoot through the crystal. Not wanting to find out the cause of the color change, you turned away from the intriguing rocks and went further down the tunnel road. While pressing on down the path, you couldn't help but feel as though someone was watching you. Constantly you found yourself glancing around you, hoping to find something in order to ease your growing paranoia. However, nothing greeted your eyes except for the crystals and the walls of the tunnel. Quickening your pace, you focused your attention in front of you.

Thankfully, you saw light in the distance. You soon realized that the light was coming from the familiar light-green and pale-blue crystals. Something about the crystals brought you hope. However, you only hoped that they wouldn't fall onto you. Getting closer to the chamber up ahead, you placed the rock back into the pouch where its light faded until it vanished completely. Exiting the unlit tunnel behind you, you entered the illuminated chamber. When you went to go forwards, you stopped seeing the water that lay in front of you. Though, something about the water seemed off, the main reason being that it wasn't flowing, but stayed still. In fact the water didn't move at all, but looked as though it was frozen in time. Hesitantly, you placed your left foot onto the surface of the water. To your surprise, you discovered that it wasn't water at all. Instead your booted foot hit the surface, as though you were walking on sturdy glass. Peering at the ground more closely, you realized that the walkway was made entirely out of the same crystals that grew out of the earth brown walls.

Hearing the sound of something dripping on the crystal floor, you glanced at your wounded arm. Seeing blood still running down your arm in a thin stream, you ripped off your right dress sleeve and tied it around the cut. Satisfied with the temporary bandage, you went further into the chamber. However, you soon stopped your advance due to hearing something behind you. Quickly, you turned around and looked for the source. Instead of noticing anything, you heard slight laughter, which echoed throughout the chamber. As fear began to enter your mind, you saw something move across the stalactite covered ceiling in a fluid motion.

Narrowing your eyes, you tried to examine the creature closer. However, the being ran across the ceiling once more before jumping down onto the crystal walkway below. You were slightly taken aback at the creature's appearance, which bore resemblance to a human child. Though, the child's skin was made out of the same crystals that filled the chamber. Bright red ruby eyes analyzed you carefully while a light giggle escaped the child's crystal lips. Furthermore, a long crystal tail extended out from the child's back, swinging back and forth. Loose blue shorts and a blue shirt, both blending in quite well with the child's skin, graced their form. Spiky crystal hair shot out from the top of their head. Despite the strange appearance of the child that stood in front of you, you were more concerned with their giggling.

Not being able to take it anymore, you exclaimed, "What's so funny?"

Your voice only caused the child to increase their giggling while their tail swung more fiercely. Before you could react the child stood right in front of you and grabbed both of your hands in his.

"I haven't felt the skin of a human in such a long time. You have very soft skin miss. How long do you intend to stay here?"

"Wait ... what?" you stated, slightly worried at the being's statement.

The child only continued to look at you, awaiting your answer to their question. Figuring that you weren't going to get any information out of the child unless you replied to their question, you hesitantly spoke.

"Not long, I need to retrieve a mask piece. Do you know where it is?"

In response to your answer, the child's ruby eyes widened before a wide grin painted itself onto the child's lips. Giggling erupted from their mouth, causing a look of puzzlement to grace your face.

"That's what you've come for? Well, I wish you luck in retrieving it. If you want it, it's in the center of this room. Though, I think you'll be staying here longer than you expected. Hmm, meaning that I'll have company for some time. That will be nice for a change."

Trying to ignore the child's creepy grin, you looked past them towards the center of the chamber. However, you saw no mask. Your eyes only fell upon more of the crystal flooring. Stepping forward, you went around the child until you reached the center. Seeing nothing around you or above you, you turned your gaze downwards. Right below you laid the mask piece. It was hard to discern the characteristics of mask, since the crystal above it distorted the image of the mask. Though, you were able make out the crème color of the object and the gold lines that added elegance to the piece.

Staring down at the object, you tried to think of a way to remove it from the crystal. You couldn't use magic due to your half human half sorceress nature. Thus your eyes surveyed the room for anything useful. Seeing only more crystals, you remembered the needle that rested in the pouch. Retrieving it from the bag, you asked it to become a sword and so it did. The strange child watched you with an amused look and waited for the result of your attempt. Bringing the blade down onto the ground, you found yourself rather disappointed. Instead of breaking the crystal, the sword barely even scratched it.

Maybe you could try and use one of the crystals growing out of the walls or surrounding area. Though, how would you remove it from its resting place? Your sword wouldn't do anything. Sighing, you returned the sword to a needle and put it back into the pouch. With ideas being absent from your mind, you sat on the ground frustrated. Crossing your arms over your chest, you glanced once more at the mask. Walking up behind you, the child swung their tail back and forth as if laughing at your predicament.

"Why do you even need the mask? Is it really that important to you?"

"Of course I don't need it. It's for someone I know. I told them that I would retrieve it for them. Besides I came all the way here already, so I don't want to exactly go back empty handed."

"Why go back when you could stay here? I could always use permanent company."

"No thank you. Besides what would I eat, or drink? It wouldn't be long before I die of thirst or hunger."

"Well I guess that's a good point. Then again who said I needed a talking companion. A dead one would be just as good."

Hearing the child's words, you froze and saw the terrifying gleam in their ruby eyes. Your hand hovered over the pouch at your side until you noticed something in the crystal ground. For a second the mask disappeared before it reappeared again. Were your eyes deceiving you? No, they weren't for it happened again. Only the child's grinning face remained present, their reflection in the ground replacing the mask piece.