A Trip around the Barrier

A/N: As usual, I would recommend to put the video on loop.

Running forward, Lucian was about to open a door on the left side of the throne room before you stopped him. Pulling on his black coat, you halted his movement.

"Lucian before we go anywhere, I want you to give me a weapon. I know that you might be against the idea, but I'm merely a burden to you at the moment. If I can defend myself then that burden will be lessened."

"I don't find you to be a burden at all, ____, but do you not trust me to protect you?"

"No, I don't trust you at this moment but let me explain. Right now, I can tell that you're exhausted, and you need to conserve your magic to take out the council members. If you give me a weapon, then you can conserve your energy more. Otherwise, I'll just grab a sword from one of the suits of armor in these halls, which will be most ineffective against a mage."

He looked over at you before sighing and combing his left fingers through his hair. You could tell that he was slightly insulted by your comment, but you knew that he could see the rationality in it; it was just his pride that got in the way. Keeping your hardened gaze on him, you waited for his answer. Glancing away from you, he reluctantly pulled out a flame sword and handed it to you. Such a sword consumed magic to make, but once made it would not take away anymore magic to keep it present. Giving Lucian a small smile and a 'thank you', the two of you headed out of the throne room. Once in the halls Lucian ran his left fingers over one of the nearby walls, causing you to watch with confusion.

"Lucian what are you doing?" you questioned, walking up to him.

"I'm locating the places where the barrier is strongest. Those are the places where the mages are. Surely it wouldn't be wise to run around this castle and hope that we find one before we get ambushed."

"Yes, that would be foolish," you muttered, feeling ridiculous for originally thinking that was the plan.

Another few seconds passed before Lucian exclaimed, "I found them. There are four in total. One is in the ballroom, another in the library, the third in the indoor gardens and the last in the hall of pictures. We'll go to the ballroom first".

In the next moment, Lucian linked his right arm with your left one and took you through another portal. Exiting, the two of you stood in front of the doors that were on the left side of the ballroom. Voices were heard on the other side, meaning that guards were stationed around the member holding up the barrier. Footsteps were approaching from the right of you and Lucian pushed you up against the doors while two male council members came into view. When they turned to guard the doors you were standing at, they were about to yell about your presence, but Lucian quickly maneuvered around them and slit their throats with daggers of ice. Their bodies dropped to the floor, as you two quietly opened the doors to the ballroom. Shutting the doors behind you, you saw Lady Luciel holding up the barrier while one female and one male member stood guarding her.

Looking over her right shoulder, Lady Luciel merely scoffed before her lips curved into a thin-lipped smile. Her brown eyes examined your sword before a laugh escaped her lips. A black dress with gold and red details covered her person while golden head jewelry dangled above her eyes.