A Healer's Cough

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

At five in the afternoon, Nafera dealt the finishing blow, officially taking all cards from you. She had won War, but you were fine with this when you saw the shocked expression on her face. It was priceless, especially when she whispered in a soft disbelieving voice that she won. A smile tugged at her lips, as she looked up at you with widened grey eyes. Her eyes were no longer lifeless like when you first met, but were now filled with happiness and surprise.

Setting her hands on the crimson red tablecloth, she stood up out of her chair and stated, "Let's play again another time. This was incredibly enjoyable".

Laughing lightly at her reaction, you replied, "Yeah, I look forward to it. I see that there is a competitive side to you Nafera, so you want to beat me again then?".

"Yes," she said with total honesty.

You laughed harder this time, finding her reaction child-like and amusing. With this reaction, you were fine with losing. Nafera was slowly gaining emotions and the outcome brought a smile to your face. Hearing your answer, she nodded before picking up the cards and placing them back in the drawer in the mantel of the fireplace. As she turned around to face you, the door to the room opened, revealing Lucian. He gave Nafera the signal to leave and so she did, taking the tray of dishes with her. Before she closed the door, you waved goodbye and she nodded, shutting the door, as she left the room. Now alone with Lucian, he walked over to the chair on the left side of you and sat down.

Leaning against the back of the chair, he glanced at you before saying, "All barriers have been repaired and so you should be safe while you remain on this property, though tell me did Nafera bring me to my room? I remember falling asleep in the dining room".

"Yeah, we were getting lunch when we found you asleep."

"I see. Why didn't you bring me to my room, I would've preferred that."

"Well, I thought you wouldn't want to be dragged across the floor."

"Hmm, well being dragged would be rather uncomfortable. In that case I thank you for your consideration," he stated with exhaustion lacing his voice.

Seeing this evident exhaustion, you looked over at him and noticed that he looked rather pale.

"No problem, but are you okay? You look really pale."

"Hmm, I'm fine, though once again I appreciate your concern, my pet."

Immediately after those words left his mouth, he started to cough rather loudly.

When he stopped, you sighed, stating, "You were saying?"

"There's no need for concern; I'm fine. Besides, my health shouldn't trouble you."

"Just because I don't approve of all your actions doesn't mean that I'm heartless."