Chapter 6: Quiet Fire

*Bell Rings*

Mya walked through the halls of her school to her locker. It's been a week since they dropped her mom off at the rehab center and it would be another week before they get to see her.

"Hey." Kadence said walking up.

"Hey." Mya said.

"You good?"

"Yeah, probably about as good as I'm gonna get." She said closing her locker and they walked to the lunch room.

"How's Alexis?"

"Quiet." Mya said as they sat down. "She a little quiet fire right now."

"Damn."

"Yeah, she wants to see mama bad and we gotta wait another week." Mya said.

"You think she needs to talk to somebody?"

"It's only been a week."

"I know but y'all stayed in that group home for like two and a half weeks. I know that shit was terrible."

"It was but we made due. I kept her safe."

"What you mean?" Kadence asked.

"I did what I had to do to keep my sister and I safe. If I had to fight, so be it." She said.

Kadence nodded knowing she would do the same for her sister.

***

Beyoncé sat in a group therapy meeting. For the past week they've had this everyday plus her anger management group therapy. Beyoncé tried to participate but never wanted to really share which was understandable, it had only been a week.

When the meeting was over Beyoncé was walking back to her room.

"Beyoncé, the counselors want to see you." She heard from Megan, the lady in charge of the group therapy meetings.

Beyoncé nodded and went walking to where her counselors office was. She remembered from the tour she received when she first got there.

The door was open so she walked in.

"Beyoncé, come and have a seat."

Beyoncé sat at the chair in front of the desk. Beyoncé looked around eyeing all the things on his desk including the name plate. Martin Brooks.

"So Beyoncé, I know it's been a week. How's it been so far?" He asked.

Beyoncé looked at him.

"Fine."

"Any urges?"

"Well of course but I don't have a problem dismissing it its just I need to figure out how to stay clean for longer periods of time." She said.

"What's the longest you've been clean?" He asked.

"Probably a month. I'd be clean for months at a time and just go back." She said.

"Were these triggered events?" He asked.

Beyoncé just nodded. Martin noticed the change in her demeanor as if she didn't want to talk about it so in keeping it light for now he didn't pry.

"Well we've set you up with a mentor today." He said. "Just someone who's been where you are and can possibly help in times of need."

Beyoncé nodded. Martin made a few calls.

"Well their in the game room and would love to meet you." He said.

"Okay." Beyoncé said nodding and getting up.