Chapter 10: Who Am I? Part 2

"I'm not suppose to talk to you." Alexis said and turned around.

"Wait, wait. Babygirl please. I haven't seen you since you were four." He said. "Please."

She turned back around and looked at him. She looked at Brandy and back at her dad. She walked closer.

"I know what you did." She said. "I know everything you did to my mama."

Rashad looked down ashamed.

"I've tried apologizing to your mama. I'm not the same man that I was." He said. "I'm sorry Alexis, I've changed."

"Okay." She said lowly.

Rashad sighed.

"I just got out this morning. I promise I'm a changed man if you could just give me a chance." He said and Alexis stayed quiet. "Hey, you got a phone?"

Alexis nodded.

"Take this number." He said.

Alexis pulled out her phone and typed the number he recited in.

"That's my number. Call me or text me anytime you want okay."

Brandy and Alexis heard the bell indicating recess was over.

"I gotta go." Alexis said.

"Okay, remember to use that number and tell your mama to call me."

Alexis nodded and turned around with Brandy and they walked back towards the school.

"That was your daddy?"

"Yeah." Alexis nodded slowly. "Should I tell Mya I saw him?"

"Maybe you should tell her after school."

Alexis nodded as they went in.

***
Mya closed her locker and Kadence was standing right there. Mya was startled.

"I can't stand you. Why you always do that?" Mya asked as Kadence laughed.

She shrugged.

"You're easy to scare." She said. "I'm going to grandma's with you."

"Why? So we can be punished together?" Mya asked as they left the building.

"She's cooking tonight so I'm coming." She said. "Plus, how punished are you?"

"As soon as I walk in the house I have to give up my phone and it better be in her room." I said.

"Damn."

"Yeah. Strict as hell but it's only for a week. I'll be fine plus she whooped my ass. I'm not skipping with you again."

"I'm not skipping no more either. My ass still hurts from my mama and then my daddy started yelling at me. Yeah, I'm like an angel at home now."

Mya laughed as they walked to the bus stop but she stopped short.

"What's wrong with you?" Kadence asked.

Mya looked at the man not too far ahead of her. He looked at her too and started walking her way. When he got closer Mya backed up and that alarmed him.

"Mya, I'm not gonna hurt you." He said.

"What are you doing here? You have another year to go."

Kadence was standing there looking confused.

"I got out early. I sent your mother letters letting her know." He said. "Can we talk?"

"No." Mya said.