Chapter 14: Don't Be Afraid

Shawn sat in a chair. His mind couldn't focus. He kept replaying what the doctor told him.

"She died on arrival. We tried to get her back and we did everything we could but she had too many internal injuries." The doctor said.

"What about my son?" Shawn asked.

"He's resting. He had a few cuts and bruises but he's gonna be fine." He said.

Shawn looked over at Chase sleeping. He became a single-father just like that. He heard the door open and Beyoncé walked in.

She walked over to him and handed him a water.

"Thank you." He said lowly.

"You're welcome." She said.

"Where's my mom?"

"I told her to go home and get some rest. She said she'll be back first thing in the morning." Beyoncé said.

Beyoncé had become Shawn's mouthpiece in the last couple of hours. After he found out about Christina's death he's just been almost mute.

This was not how Beyoncé wanted to meet Shawn's family but it happened. She made sure she was sensitive to their needs as well as Shawn's. All of this just happened out of the blue.

"You want me to take you home? I can call the car-"

"And leave you here by yourself? No, I'm good. I'll go home tomorrow. I've already emailed my boss." She said.

"Bey, you didn't have to-"

"Shut up Shawn, I'm not leaving." She said opening a pop tart she got from the vending machine.

Shawn sighed and looked at his son.

"How am I gonna tell him?" He asked.

"It's gonna be tough." Beyoncé said. "But you have to tell him in a way where he'll understand."

Shawn nodded. This would be the worse news he's ever had to break. Beyoncé sat with him while he stayed in his head. She didn't mind she just wanted him to know she was there and not going anywhere.

***

Ms. Gloria walked in the hospital room the next morning. She saw Beyoncé and Shawn asleep. Shawn's head on Beyoncé's lap and Beyoncé laying on his back. She hid a smile.

"Ssshhh" she heard.

She looked towards the bed and there was Chase.

"Grandma, they sleeping." Chase whispered and she lowly laughed.

She walked over to him.

"How long you been awake?" She asked.

"A nurse came and woke me up. She checked my temperature." He said and she nodded.

"Chase, do you know where you are?"

"Uhm, the hospital." He said slowly.

"Okay." Ms. Gloria said and nodded.

"Where's mommy?" Chase asked and Ms. Gloria heart dropped for a second.

"Let's wait for your daddy to wake up and then we'll ask him." She said and he nodded.

After maybe a half an or so Beyoncé began to stir. She lifted up knowing her back was on one thousand. She looked over and saw Chase. He looked at her and she smiled. Beyoncé eased her way from Shawn being on her lap to standing up. She walked over to Chase as he now kneeled in the bed.

"Bey Bey, you're here." He said hugging her.

"Of course I'm here." She said kissing his cheek. "Do you feel okay?"