Chapter 8: Be Honest With Yourself

Three weeks Later

Beyoncé sat on her bed with her knees brought up to her chest. She had a rough night. She had recently started having nightmares and they weren't getting any better.

Shawn walked into the room from the hallway. He saw the way Beyoncé was positioned and knew she had to get her past out the way so she could fully heal.

Shawn sat in the chair near her bed.

"Beyoncé." Shawn said. "You tired of running yet?"

Beyoncé rolled her eyes and looked over at Shawn.

"Once you let it out I promise you'll feel better." He said.

Shawn was starting to feel like a broken record. He's had this same conversation with Beyoncé for two weeks and she wouldn't crack.

Shawn watched her knees relax and she sat Indian style. She took a deep breath.

"What do you wanna know?" She asked which surprised Shawn.

"Whatever you wanna tell." He said.

Beyoncé sighed.

"Rashad wasn't always who he ended up being. He was kind, loyal, compassionate, funny, loving. Everything a girl could want. We dated a year and a half before I got pregnant with Mya. We then moved in together. Everything was fine, we were good. He even asked to marry me twice but I felt we were too young and not ready. Then I ended up pregnant again with Alexis. The next time he asked to marry me I agreed with a long engagement and he was cool with that. When Alexis turned two he started to change." Beyoncé said and then looked at Shawn.

He nodded for her to continue.

"He started investing in a night club so you know how all that go. His late nights out turned into spells of not coming home at all. We'd always argue from the pettiest things to when I found out he was cheating on me. That's the day I lost it." Beyoncé said. "I dropped the girls off with my mom and I waited in the house for his ass. He came home and we went at it. That was also the first time he put his hands on me. I tried to fight back but he was a little stronger than me."

Shawn watched her wipe away tears.

"For a whole year we'd argue and fight and I stayed because I was stupid. Not stupid in the sense where I thought his hits meant love but stupid in the sense of everything being in his name. Having him take care of me, not having my own. As a woman I felt stupid."

"What made you leave?" Shawn asked.

"One night it got real bad. To the point where my daughter had to call 911. I woke up in the hospital and I knew that I didn't even care if I was broke, I had to get my kids out that house so that's what I did. I moved in with my mom and Rashad was sentenced with aggravated assault and some other charges I had nothing to do with." She said.

"When did the alcohol abuse come into play?" Shawn asked.

"All that happened during the trial. I started drinking more and more but my mom stopped me before it got too far." She said.

Shawn listened intensely.

"I was fine after that. I went back to school and got my degree, got a house, the girls were good and everything seemed to be going well after that." She said. "Until a year or so ago. I received a letter from Rashad saying how's he's changed and wanted to see the girls and how he was getting out. I didn't know what to do but his letters and phone calls kept coming. I don't even know how he got my number."

"So you reverted back to your old habits?" Shawn asked.

"Yeah and I started doing the pills probably ten months ago." She said. "I just wanted to numb everything around me. I didn't want to think of my past."