Chapter 28: Understanding

A Few Weeks Later

"Mama!" Alexis yelled through out the house looking for her mother. She finally found her in her room laying down watching TV. "Mama."

"Yes Alexis." Beyoncé said.

Alexis ran in the room over to the bed but tripped a bit. Beyoncé sat up and looked over at her clumsy child.

"Mama, can I go to basketball camp?" Alexis asked and then Mya came in the room after hearing Alexis yelling.

"Basketball camp? Where? How much?" Beyoncé asked and Alexis passed her the email on her phone. Her coach sent it to her. "A thousand dollars? This for the whole summer?"

"No ma, a weekend." Alexis said and Mya bust out laughing.

"Oh, you ain't going." Mya said.

Beyoncé scrolled through the email.

"I don't see Harden's name. Lebron or Steph's." Beyoncé said. "For a thousand you need be getting coached by Skylar Diggings or something. Is Lisa Leslie gonna be there? Candace Parker?

"No." Alexis said quietly.

"Yeah, go ask your father." Beyoncé said handing her back her phone and laying back down.

Alexis groaned and was about to leave out.

"You stomp out of here and you won't do nothing until school start back up in September. Alexis, don't play with me." Beyoncé said sternly.

Alexis quietly left and Mya laughed.

"I don't know why you laughing. You already not doing anything until September." Beyoncé said.

Mya straight faced her.

"Ma, that's not funny." She said.

"Did I laugh? Wasn't meant to be a joke. When you get your life together then you can do things fifteen year olds get to do." Beyoncé said.

Mya sighed and left out the room.

"Yeah, he he that." Beyonce said before she went back to watching tv.

***

"So what time your Mama gonna be home?" Kenny asked as he and Mya sat in her living room.

"She at a basketball tournament with my sister all day. I'm not expecting her till later today." She said.

He nodded.

"Okay, I just don't want you getting caught up. Ain't you already on punishment or something?" He asked.

"Something like that but I been chilling so she probably aight." Mya said.

"Okay." Kenny said nodding as they went back to watching TV.

Mya started studying Kenny. He looked nervous.

"You aight over there?" Mya asked a bit amused.

"Yeah, I'm good. I just don't want your mama to pop up or something." He said.

"Don't worry. She won't be back till later." She said reassuring him which eased his mind a bit.

After awhile he got more comfortable and they cuddled while watching a movie, kissing here and there.

"You heard that?" Kenny asked.

"What?" Mya asked.

"It sound like somebody closed a door." He said standing up.

Mya looked at him like he was crazy. It wasn't until she heard keys in the door when she jumped up too.

"Ugh ugh." She stammered.