Best Friends - Daniel Ricciardo

Being a Formula 1 driver, takes a lot of my time. I'm away a lot, always travelling or racing. Even if it isn't for racing, I'm travelling a lot. Because of that, I don't see my friends and family as often as I want.

Like my best friend. I haven't seen her in almost 3 months now. She has a busy job herself, not being able to come to races. She comes to 2 or 3 per season, which isn't enough for me.

We've been best friends for as long as I can remember. I've always loved spending time with her. She's part of the reason why I'm always smiling. Because although she's not around, she always takes the time to send me a quick text to wish my good luck.

But today, I'm finally going to see her again. I have some time off, as the season is over. I'm going home, surprising her. She thinks I'm still in Abu Dhabi, testing and working on some post-season things. But I'm not, I've just landed in Perth.

I am walking with my suitcase through the airport, happy to be on land again, my land. My car is in the parking lot. I had asked my dad to put it there, so I can drive home and not take a cab. I'm still doubting if I should see her first, instead of going home. I decide to just text her when I get in the car, seeing if she's home without giving away that I'm here.

I unlock the car and put my suitcase in the trunk. I get in the car and put on some music. I take out my phone and text her.

Hey! What are you up to?

I see that she changed her profile picture on Whatsapp. I click on it and my heart starts beating faster. Her hair is darker than it was when I last saw her. Her eyes are sparkling and her smile is as wide as possible. She is looking straight into the camera, to me. I feel myself suddenly growing nervous, while my heart beats fast.

What is happening? I can't take my eyes away from the picture, until I get a text back.

Just chilling on the couch, those kind of days! What about you? x

The small 'x' gets my attention. She's sending me a kiss. I stare at it for a couple of seconds, before replying that I'm just driving around. I put my phone away and start the car. Her house it is. I have to see her. I have to know what I'm feeling.

I've always just though of her as a friend, a very good friend. But lately, everytime I think about her, my heart skips a beat and I get a nervous feeling in my stomach. Maybe it aren't nerves, maybe it's something different.

I drive on the familiar roads and I realize how much I've missed Australia. It's been a while since I've been here. It feels good to be back. I also feels good that I'll be able to hang out with my friends again. And it feels good that I get to see her again.

I easily drive to her house, knowing the route by heart. I park my car a few houses down, not wanting her to see my car straight away. I stare at my hands and realize they're shaking. Why am I this nervous?

I get out of the car and lock it, slowly starting to walk towards her house. I can already imagine her sitting on the couch, her dog on her lap, her favorite show on the TV. She's either drinking water or beer, either one is possible.

I spot her house and I don't hesitate to ring her doorbell. I hear her dog barking and I smile. I love her dog, and the dog loves me, obviously. I see a figure coming towards the door. She opens it and her eyes widen.

Mine do too. My heart beats very, very fast. My hands get sweaty and the nerves are back.

"Daniel?" she asks, her voice full with disbelief. I start grinning, feeling myself getting happy to see her.

"Y/N" I say, making her smile as well. She throws herself in my arms, hers moving around my neck. I hold her close, finally realizing what the nerves are. Butterflies. I'm falling for my best friend.

She pulls herself back to look at me.

"You're really here" she says, still not believing it. I just nod and laugh at her. She's even more beautiful than I can remember from seeing her last time. Maybe that's just because I look at her differently now. My heartbeat isn't going back to normal, but atleast I know why.

"Come in!" she says, stepping away from the door. I walk into her house and spot her dog. He runs up to me and attacks me. I just pat him, while looking at Y/N.

"I can't believe you're here! What are you doing here, Dan?" she asks me, pulling me to sit down next to her. Her dog jumps onto my lap and I just chuckle.

"I just really wanted to see you. I thought I'd surprise you, instead of letting you know that I was coming" I tell her. Her eyes widen a little again, but her smile grows.

"I really hope people won't break in my car, my suitcase is in it" I say while chuckling. She frowns slightly.

"You haven't been home yet?" she asks. I feel myself starting to blush, realizing how stupid it will look that I came to her first, instead of going home.

"No, I came here first" I say. She blushes and looks down as well.

"Why?" she asks, her voice soft and small.

"Because I just really wanted to see you" I mumble, not really sure how to explain to her that I like her more as just my best friend.

"Well, I'm glad, because I really wanted to see you as well" she says, looking back at me. Before I can stop myself, I lean in, placing my hand on her cheek. I stop, right in front of her face. She is just looking back at me, not stopping me. I just smile and lean in further, placing my lips on hers. She immediately kisses back, placing one of her hands on my wrist and the other on my other arm.

I feel her smiling against my lips, causing me to do the same. She moves closer to me, pushing her dog of my lap, taking his place. I move my other arm around her waist, to hold her close to me. We pull away, but she stays where she is.

"I've been waiting for you to do that" she mumbles, her eyes still closed, her forehead pressed against mine.

"Really?" I ask her, not really believing she feels the same.

"Yeah, I've been falling for you for a while now, Dan" she says, slightly blushing. She opens her eyes and looks at me. I just press my lips back against hers.

"I'm falling for you, too" I whispers in between kisses. She grins.

"I was just afraid of your reaction" I continue, but she just puts a finger on my lips.

"Shut up and kiss me" she says and I do exactly that.

---------------------------------------

Helloo!

This request was by lovestorieswriter

I hope you liked it, babe!

If you have a request, just comment it or send me a message!

xxxxxxxx <3