Chapter 17

"How is everything?" Julie asks as she comes around checking in on us. Smiling up at her I feel ketchup drooling down my chin. Before I can get to it Tom wipes it away before licking it off his thumb. My cheeks burn red hot as he smiles at me melting my heart. In that small moment I pull it in holding it close to my heart as I think of all the plain Jane nights I've had before I met him. Smiling up at him he answers for me. 

     "Everything is great." He says before she walks away with that dreamy look in her eyes. Watching her go she walks to get an order before I turn back seeing my few fries and bite left of the Reggie burger. My burger is amazing and the fires are to die for is how Tom said before we got our food. Diving in it lived up to his standards from my point of view.  So far my stomach is agreeing with the food luckily.

     Peaking out of the corner of my eye I just hope Tom is having as good of a time as me. Taking another peak his way he's never lost that brilliant smile the whole time as he nudges me. Nudging him back playfully I'm just so thankful for the little moments. I mean he's playful and kind. I never thought I would find the man of my dreams in a million years, but here he is.

      Done eating as I pop the last fry in my mouth I'm stuffed. We didn't talk too much but that's only because the food was so good. Smirking I cant believe I'm here. Out of everyone one I've met over the past nineteen years its been nothing but running and finding a new place to call home. I think I can finally call this home. Home is where the heart is and I know mine belongs with Tom. 

    Sighing he leans back as his leather jacket crinkles slightly as he props his arm up behind me. Leaning back as well I look at the filling restaurant. Happy people chatting making the air buzz with its energy I don't feel sleepy at all as I feed off the energy. Beside me Tom is laughing as I move slightly to the music playing from the speakers around the place. Its been so long sense the last time I heard the beautiful rhythm. I think the song is called Magic Man. I'm not sure who plays it, but its all I need right now. 

      Soon Julie comes back with the bill as she hurries off to get a waiting order. Pulling his arm out from behind me he pulls out his wallet as i watch him pay for our food. Thankful for him paying I'll make sure i pay him back so how as he stuffs his wallet back in his jeans. Having to lean back to fit it in I hold back a laugh as he grunts. 

     "This thing just keeps getting fatter." He brushes it off as he manages to fit it back in. "Ready?" He asks me as he slips out from our booth and offers his hand out to me. Blushing I cant help it as he helps me out. Smiling I'm burning up as we leave, but not before saying goodbye to Julie. Smiling she winks at me before we hurry out the door out into the night. The cold gust that hits me has me surprised as I look to the sky. So far the city lights are blocking out most of what I can see of the stars as i hang onto his arms peering up. I'm a little sad I cant see them as we climb back into his truck.

     "Don't worry, I have one last thing for you." He says catching my attention. Buckling up he has this shine in his eyes that wasn't there before. Curious as to what he still has up for us he just waves it off saying its a surprise. Taking off we head past the shops and lights into the country side. Climbing higher up the mountain we take twists and turns heading higher and higher as I watch out the window wondering where we're going. What has he got up his sleeve now. 

      Headlights shining we come out from the trees onto a knoll in the mountain side. Staring out the windshield the dots of light below from the town gleaming in the dark Tom kills the engine sending us into the dark. Adjusting my eyes I hear him rusting around till I practically jump out of my skin as his hand lands on my arms. 

     "Sorry, take this you'll need it." I hear him whisper as he hands me his jacket. Confused I hold it in my hands not quiet understanding as he opens his door. The little light turning on as he smiles so mysteriously as he shuts the door. I wait a second before following him. Shutting my door the truck squats slightly as I see his figure hopping up in the back. The cool wind biting at my skin I pull his jacket around me as the smell wafts up all around me. Sighing I could just stay here like this all night. 

     From the trees the distant owl hoots as I breath in the open air. Farther down the mountain the coyotes start up. One yipping over yonder till the next calls from farther away. Communicating with each other I wrap my arms around me as I close my eyes taking it all in. Hearing Tom stop rustling I look his way as he offers me his hand in the dark. Gladly taking it he leads me to the back as I hop up in. Laid out on the bed of his truck is some blankets that look so appealing right now. 

     "You thought of everything didn't you?" I joke as we settle down in the nest hes made. Snuggling closer to him for warmth he gladly wraps his arm around me as we stare up at the vast sky filled with millions of stars. Wowing I cant help it as we watch one blaze a trail across the sky. 

     "Make a wish." I hear him whisper as I breath him in.

     "I don't need a wish. I have everything I've ever wanted." I softly slip out making him kiss me. Leaning my head up to his its the best kiss I've ever had yet. I wish this night would never end.