Chapter 23

"So you're telling me these horses have been locked in a barn in the middle of nowhere for illegal sale?" Nodding I stroke Appy's cheek as we head towards the barn on the property. Seeing it Appy pins her ears and slams her heels into the ground. Tugging gently on her she's hell bent on not going in there. Wide eyed I can understand why she doesn't want to go in but we can't just let her run around now can we. 

     "Hay its going to be okay. Nothing bad is going to happen to you I swear." Stroking her cheek she's still not budging as I try to get her to move. Sighing I'm tired, over whelmed and hungry. 

    "Its alright we have a pen that she can be in. The others can even be with her if that helps." Nodding I don't know how to thank this woman. A vet is on the way and the police. Leading us around there's high fenced in ring where they won't be able to get out of. Sighing I lead everyone in as I hear gravel crunching. Going to the black I thank her quietly before pulling the gelding and mare off. Setting her in the ring she goes off to the others as the mare pins her ears. Letting her go she didn't waist any time getting as far away from me as she could. 

     Turning back to the gelding I lead him out as the vet comes up with his truck. Eyeing it the gelding doesn't have much fight, but he's still standing. Holding his head the vet gets to work on him. The few people who are around come to see what's happening as the herd circles. There's about three people that are sitting on top of the ring watching the new arrivals as two stand by watching as the skinny gelding gets diagnosed. Whispering to him I stroke his cheek as the vet sets up an IV. Taking a blood sample he'll take it back to the lab tonight before he goes home and he'll be back tomorrow with the results. For now the gelding is to stay in a stall. 

     Hearing this I'm worried he'll be away from anyone he knows. If he's stressed now he might go down hill and I can't have that. I'll be staying with him as the woman, Linda, comes to show us the one she has open. Thanking her with my heart he's such a good horse as he follows me into the stall. We offer him water but he doesn't seem to want it and the little food we can give him isn't much. The vet says to call if he goes down and that he should take it easy for a long time till he's fully recovered. 

     Stroking his cheek he's falling to sleep already as another car comes into the yard. All round us horses nicker to us wondering who we are as boots clip out in the isle. The door open I look up as a police man comes to stop before the door. Looking up he looks friendly. With a recorder in hand he's here to question me. 

     "Hello miss." He says nodding. Smiling lightly back at him I keep my hands stroking the geldings as he leans against me. Eyes closed he's resting now. "How are you wrapped up in this story?" He asks as I take a deep breath. 

     "I was just getting home when a man and trailer came to the house." I've told my story twice now, once to the vet and Linda and now its not going to change. "No one else was home at the time as the man went to the barn. He loaded three horses onto his trailer when I released he was stealing." Grunting the gelding is putting most of his weight on me now as i plant my feet. Locking his knees he's going to be able to stand is my question. 

    "I didn't have time to call anyone so I hid on the trailer to know where they were going." Looking to the officer I fist my hand as I think of those two idiots. "I wasn't about to let them go without knowing where they were going. These are my horses." I hiss out as I turn back to the gelding. "I don't know where I am all I know is that these horses were being abused. I had to do something." Sighing the gelding leans away as his eyes crack open. Pulling his forelock he sighs before closing his eyes again. "I can take you to the barn in the morning." I offer softly as my focus stays on the gelding. 

     "Thank you for your cooperation. You know where the barn is?" Nodding to that I let a shaky breath out as he goes on about how tomorrow morning he wants me to show him the barn and wished for the gelding to get better. Leaving I let out a sigh as I close my eyes sinking into the shavings. We're all in deep crap if someone tells a different story, but i put as much emotion into it i hoped he bought it. Its not like I can say 'oh ya, I was one of the horses taken'. snorting The gelding lowers his head resting it on my knee. Stroking him I just hope he makes it through the night. 

     If today wasn't enough then I pray to god he'll stay standing. Weak with hunger we're all so tired as my eyes close. Drifting away to another place I'll be home soon.