Chapter 22

Stopping by another stream everyone jumps in to take a drink. Relaxing slightly we'll camp here for the night. Finding a small clearing I tie Appy to a near by tree and collect the others around me. Finding my horse side more comfortable I shift, but not before making sure everyone is set for the night. As the sun sets on a stressful day I know we're going in the right direction, I just know we are. Determined to get home I feel my eyes growing heavy. Letting a sigh out I fall into a fitful sleep. 

Morning is no better. Groaning I shake the dust off feeling tired and hungry. Seeing the sun peaking through the canopy everyone is waking up for another day of excitement. Appy is more relaxed now that she's outside and close to everyone. The gelding is still standing and has a shine back in his eyes now. My guys seem relaxed with me leading and the mare just tosses her tail at me as I offer my hand. Pinning her ears I hope to earn her trust sometime. The girl is up and ready to walk on as I see her stretching. Doing the same its a good idea. 

     "We're going to have to travel a lot of miles today." Nodding she's still waking up as I grab Appy. Leading the way we bush whack our way towards home. Feeling confident I'm going to get them all home then we'll take it from there. I can't let them down their lives depend on me to see everything through. 

     With all of this pressure on me I just hope I can carry it. Marching on this forest will never end it seems like. 

Breaking every now and then the day is burning away and we're barely any closer then we were this morning. Holding back we haven't eaten much or found much water if any. I'm worried about the gelding. He seems to be a walking skeleton. Breaking as the sun hits past mid afternoon I can't see the end yet. Standing in the shade we're all tired as I hear something. Tying Appy everyone perks hearing it. 

     "Stay with the horses." I order as I step past Appy towards the sound. As it grows louder its taking on a vehicle like sound but more rugged. Picking up my feet I charge through the trees and break towards it as I fear the worst. The branches scratching and grabbing my cloths and skin I'm all scraped up and bleeding as I jump out onto a trail. Falling my foot was caught on some vines as the noise comes around the corner. 

     Looking up a four wheeler comes around the bend all hell bent. The driver a woman slams on the hand brake as she comes at me. Struggling from the brush panicked I kick out freeing myself. Standing she comes to a stop a few feet away from me as the roar of the engine talks between us. Breathing hard her shocked face explains how I feel. Shutting the machine off she swings her leg over and steps down. Coming around I just feel I cant trust this woman. All horses can feel a gentle soul and she's one of them. Like Tom I feel like breaking down. 

     Reaching my side tears roll down my cheeks uncontrollably as I struggle to stay standing. I've never wanted to see another human in my life, but right now she's a gods sent. Crumbling her arms catch me as I wrap my arms around her. Feeling her warmth it sends me over the edge. Holding her close I can hear her trying to calm me as I break down. 

     "Shhh, its okay I'm here now." She coos as I nod. Controling myself I pull back as her wild eyes search mine. Wiping madly at my eyes her brown hair pulled back into a pony tail to her green eyes I feel myself taking a shaky breath in. 

     "What's wrong? Whats happened to you?" She asks so kindly as I try to find the words. Breathing in I'm answered by a shrill of a neigh. Hooves thundering the three horses from my barn come storming out onto the back road. Snapping up her eyes go wide as I scramble to get out of their way. Looking around the horses call out as I rush to them. Seeing me they practically leap to me. Raising my arms I gladly snatch up their leads as I hear the girl calling after them. Surprised they lower their heads as I try to figure them out. Nickering softly I'm nuzzled as a new neigh reaches my ears. 

    Oh no, Appy. The snap crackling of the bush is the last think I needed to hear as Appy comes rearing out from the bush. Jumping back into the horses Appy kicks out almost hitting us as all chaos comes loose. Throwing herself around she's going to hurt herself or someone as I see her heading towards the woman. Screaming out for her to watch out Appy goes thundering through as she throws a fit.   

     Turning around the bay perks his ears as I slip between them. Grabbing a fist full of his mane I swing my leg up and over as I cluck him on. Shooting past the women I call after Appy trying to get her to slow down as the herd follows me. Galloping after Appy we come out of the trail to the woman's property. Open fields before us Appy is stuck bucking as she heads farther across. Pushing the bay we sail over to her as I see my chance. My heart hammering in my chest I let the bay go as I leap to the other horse. 

     Appy throws her brakes on as I hang half off from her snatching the lead up off the ground. Swinging her head I hang on as I swear she tried to kick me away. Holding onto the wild horse my grip only tightening on the lead she's not going down without a fight. Holding on for dear life I close my eyes waiting for her to settle. 

     As her fits settle I hear the four wheeler coming as my herd comes to stand by my side. Opening my eyes the black horse has the gelding and mare attached to her halter as she nods towards me. Smiling Appy is breathing hard as she lowers her head blowing out. Patting her neck the woman comes to a stop a little ways away as she takes in the horses. Gasping at the gelding he's having a hard time breathing. 

     "I can explain." I say before she can think badly on me.