Chapter 38

I was left back in a stall as my wondered. Should I go back to my father and explain? Would the black come back to hurt Tom though if I left him? What if I go and something terrible happens to him and it's all my fault.

     Just thinking about that cold stare has me bucking. My hooves hit the wall behind me spooking me from the bang the rings out. Others cry out from my sudden out burst. Eyes wide I ignore the looks thinking of what I should do now. My mind swirling the time goes by as night falls upon my shoulders. Jess comes around giving out grain as my body feels like its run a marathon. 

     Smiling kindly she dumps a sweet smelling much into my bucket before the lights go out. Taking a nibble I've never had this stuff before. Sweet like apples its off in taste but has an oat kinda aroma with it. Gladly eating I wasn't here anymore. Off in dream land I will find Tom tomorrow to explain.  

Turning up towards the top of the mountain Tom is somewhere up here. My hooves kicking up dust its starting to be a dry year. Smells of others passing through here waft through my nose as I try to sniff him out. I'm no blood hound but I sure do have a nac for finding him. 

    Coming out onto a bluff I take a breather feeling my sides heave with the effort and excitement of finding him up here. On the look out I hear a snort from below catching my attention. There weaving in and out of the tall pines sits Tom astride a dark brown gelding. Both just taking their time my heart lurches at the sight of him.

    Letting out a high pitched whinny they come up short as his head swivels searching. Throwing up my hooves I'm so happy to see him I'm blind to the threat from behind.

    As our eyes connect theres a thunder of hooves behind me catching me off guard. Landing short I spin to find riders breathing down my back.

    A flash of a dark memory hitting me hard fear spikes through my soul as I scream. Launching myself from the small outlook my heart pounding in time with my hoofs I cant seem to get away from them.

    Riding on the backs of beasts riders call out spooking me away from Tom as my mind tells me to lead them away from what I love. Flashing of branches and images of my mother whip out lashing my sides as I frantically run for my life.

    Taking a drastic turn I was heading down hill at light speed with no brakes. No way of stopping my body my eyes taking on a glazed feeling I was blindly going as the darkness seems to be surrounding me on all sides.

    The yips and haws getting to me I launched myself over that log unsure of what was on the other side fleeing. Flying I was not ready for the drop as the sand quarry comes rushing up. Sliding there was no traction my legs searching for anything I was going down like a locomotive off tracks. I was going to die as the bottom ran up to meet me. Crumpling from the impact I was a mess on the floor as the shock took over. Pain edged my vision as a groan sounded out.

       Unable to do anything I was gasping for air as I screamed at myself to do something.

    Frustration ebbing away I watched as they came. The dark surrounding them their black beasts snorting and snarling with heaving sides. I couldn't do a thing as they came to take me away just like my mother. 

I awoke to the bang clang of a dark world. My nose telling me theres more of me here then just I my ears focused slowly coming to it as the shrill neighs and panicked calls sound out around me.

    Picking my head up off from the cold ground I had no clue as to where I was but for the darkness. The wind telling me little I was shaking from the cold as movement regained in my limbs. Aching terribly I needed to get up and I needed to know what was happening.

    Grunting from the effort I was on shaking ground as the rumble reached my senses. Startled I was up squealing like the others. My limbs uncoordinated I rammed back into the wall behind me startling me more. Slamming down on my butt I was confused as my ground shook and started to pull away. Others around me call out frantically wondering what's happening as I shake my head clearing my thoughts.

    Standing back up my body swaying slightly it wasn't from being weak it was the dark box I was in that was moving. Slowly my eyes blink away focusing ahead. Theres an ever growing breeze as I feel my whiskers running over holes. Smelling fast food a flash of dotted lights flash by as we gain speed. Squealing I toss out frightened as this is so overwhelming. Passing through I lean closer seeing the lights dim and brighten. Street lights flash by as I try to settle my racing heart.

    Going back to darkness the wind carrying the smell of home farther and farther away my heart clenches. Where am I. What has happened to me to be here in this trap. I was with Tom not too long ago but how long ago was that. The sun was up when I saw him last.

     Startled my rump is bumped into as the wall rattles terribly. Spooking the animals around me I shift feeling myself away from the sudden change. My hands reaching out find the wall once more as my fingers curl into holes. Unable to see much I stick my hand through trying to calm the being on the other side.

     "Easy." My voice scratchy it only spooks whoever is there as I end up getting my hand crushed between them and the wall. Crying out a whimper I yank my hand back stepping away as I listen to the others call frantically too.

     I can't tell how many there are of us but it's a lot. Maybe ten or so of horses all scared to death of what's ahead.