Chapter 1

"Plié, fondu, glissade, brisé."

" Grace remember your posture and extend from your shoulders." My teacher yells at me from the front of the room.

I fix my corrections and look at the time, it's 7:55pm so I only have five more minutes left until I have to go home and get screamed at constantly by my mum.

Even though I am nineteen years old and nearly an adult, she still treats me like a ten year old child. My mum always complains to me that I never do anything around the house,and that she has to do everything for me even though I buy my own clothes and food, I always pack up and put away things that I need and if my mum needs me to do things around the house I am always there to help.I know that is is hard for my though, raising a child on her own since my dad passed away.

When I was 5 I was in a terrible car crash with my mum and dad. me and my mum survived with a few minor injuries but my dad unfortunately had extreme brain damage which caused his heart to slow down and by the time he was transported to the hospital it was to late he had already passed away. I didn't understand why my dad wasn't coming home every night to tuck me in and I would always ask my mum when will daddy be home and she would always get tears in her I eyes and say that he was going to be back soon but as I got older I realised that he wasn't coming back because he passed away.

"Grace what are you doing just standing there dreaming, hurry up and go to the back conner for grand allegro!" my teacher yells at me.

"Sorry miss." I say as I quickly go up to the back corner and stand behind my best friend Brittany.

"Hey are you ok?" She questions me.

"Yeah I'm fine, just dreading going home to my mum because she yelled at me constantly before I came to dance because of leaving bobby pins on the kitchen bench."

" Oh ok, well I am going to the shops after class because I need new pointe shoes and I was going to buy a new dress. Do you want to come?"

"Yeah I will come I could do with done new pointe some as well and I guess it is better then going home and getting yelled at."

We do our grand allegro from the corner a couple of times down the room.

"Thank you girls, you may all go now."

We all curtsy for the teacher and thank her before I grab my bag and walk over to Brittany to discus what we are doing.

" Brittany are you still going to the shops?"

" Yeah I'm just getting changed."

" Ok I will get changed and then meet you out the front."

"Ok." she says as we walk down the the change rooms.

Great I only have a low back top and leggings and I can't wear a low back top because of the scares on my back.

About a week ago I went over to my boyfriend Logan's house because I was sick of my mum yelling at me for everything that I did. I was running late and when I got to his house he was annoyed that I was late and that the dinner was cold. He then got all worked up and started yelling at me for all the times that I was late and that I never have any time for him. his faces was red with anger and he continued to tell at me. I tried to stop him and say sorry but he didn't believe me that I was sorry. He started throwing plates out of the cupboard and smashed the glass cups on the floor he stopped for a moment and looked around the room at the mess he had made and then back at me. he stared into my eyes and at one point I thought that he had calmed down but he just yelled in my face again and then grabbed me by my shoulders. I tried to push him away but he was to strong. He bashed me against the wall five times and kicked my legs. then he pushed me into a glass cabinet that was holding his mums nicest plates and a few old antiques that she must of bought. Glass stuck into my back and the cuts started to bleed. He knocked me up against the wall one more time before kicking me to the ground. I attempted to get up but I was in so much pain that it was no use. He kicked me a few times and I grabbed onto his leg but all he did was kick me harder and I was in so muck pain so eventually I had nothing in me and my grip weakened, tears ran down my face and I laid there in stillness. He grabbed a large price of shattered glass and scraped it down my back cause more and more blood. He had blood on his hands and it was all over the floor. I yelled and screamed for him to stop but he continued to strap my back. When he finally stopped I gut up in pain and ran to my car. when I got home luckily my mum was not there, I had a shower and got most of the little pieces of glass out and then went straight to bed with a towel rapped around me to make sure that blood didn't get on my bed.

From that day on I cannot wear anything that shows my back and I have to put foundation on to cover it up because I don't want to tell anyone what happened.

I put on the leggings and make sure that I put a lot of foundation over the top of my scares so that no one can see them. I put on my top and turn around to face my back to the mirror. Most of the scares are covered by my top luckily but there are a few at the top, near my shoulders that you can see. I put more foundation over it and my back looks a bit darker then the rest of my skin but it will have to do for today. I hope Brittany doesn't notice.

I put on my black ballet flats and then put on a pit of makeup. I walk down the hallway and wait out the front for Brittany. While I am waiting I check the time and it is 8:20, as long as I am home by 10:00 my mum won't have to many problems with it since I am nearly an adult and can do things for my self.