Chapter 11

When I get to my mums work I walk up to her office and knock on the door.

"Mum, are you there." I say still knocking on the door. After a few minutes my mum comes and opens the door and when I walk in I see that Mark is sitting in front of my mums laptop.

"What is he doing here." I ask

"Grace don't talk about him like that I work with him and he is a very nice man. If it wasn't to him you might not of even come up with the idea to send you to a uni instead of staying at home all-day or just hanging out with your friends, you are actually doing something with your life." My mum yells at me before standing behind mark and putting her hands on his shoulders.

"What are you doing?" I ask my mum pointing at them.

" Grace can I speak to you outside for a moment?" My mum asks heading towards the door.

"I could go outside instead and come back later if you want." Mark suggests.

"No its ok we will go outside and you can stay in here and look for a few more uni course options if you want." My mum says while we walk out of he office and into a meeting room. My mum works for a real-estate agents that is 20 minutes away from our house so it doesn't take very long to get there each morning unless there is a lot of traffic.

"So what is it with you and Mark are you dating or something." I ask her.

"Umm nothing we just work together and maybe I like him a bit but I don't think much will happen."

"Mum you cant date him!, That wouldn't be fair to dad. You always said that you would never date someone else because even though dad is not here anymore it would hurt him if he was."

"Well maybe its time to move on." My mum says trying to hold my hand but I pull it out of her grip.

"I guess I'm not going to be able to change your mind so whatever."

"Grace I like him and I can date who I want you don't know anything about dating so don't turn around to me and tell me who I can and can't date. I am your mother." My mum explains.

"I cant believe your doing this." I yell while storming out to my car.

"Grace, come back here." My mum yells out, but I continue to go to my car and start to drive home. I cant believe that my mum is thinking about dating another guy. A few years after my dad died my mum was at the shops and she met a guy at the checkout. They dated for about 2 weeks but then my mum started to realise that it wouldn't be fair to my dad if she went around dating any guy that catches her eye.

I drive home and the anger inside me rises and a million thoughts come running through my mind. I cant believe that I might have a stepdad in a few years. What will happen if they get married. I pull into the drive way and tears start rolling down my face. I cant believe what is happening. First I see Logan at the shops, then I find out that when I had a fight with Logan at the shops he broke my rib and now this, my mum might be starting something up with another guy. I think I just need some time to think about it so I am going to call Brittany to see if I can stay at her house for a little while.

"Hey" she answers

"Hi" I say and I am pretty sure that Brittany will be able to her the sadness in my house.

"Are you ok?" she questions me.

" Ummm no I have just had the worst day" I say and burst out into to tears.

"Grace don't cry. What happened?" Brittany asks

"My mum has found this guy at work and she wants to start dating him." I say sobbing into the phone

"Do you want me to come over and we can talk about this?"

"Do you mind if I maybe stay at your house for a few days? Because I don't think I really want to put up with my mum yelling at me at the moment." I ask

"Yeah sure. The only thing is that my cousin Luke is staying with us for a few days. He is the same age as us so is that ok?" She asks me 

"Yeah that's alright I will only stay for a few days then I might start looking for an apartment that I can buy with the money I got from working at the preschool before I broke my rib. I think its time for me to start living by myself and being more responsible for myself." I say

"Ok well we can talk more when you come over."

"Ok I will be over in about 30 minutes." I explain

"Ok bye." She says

"Bye." I say hanging up the phone and going up stairs and getting a few pairs of clothes, some toiletries and my phone charger. I quickly put everything in a handbag and drive to Brittany's.