Shelters And Strangers

Short Story:

Standing among the green grass fields, it started pouring in immeasurable amounts. The dimming mist hid the bright sun, turning what was once a warm sunny afternoon into a miserable, dull night, with only the shimmering of a faint sun could be seen from underneath the thick fog. Quickly, I sped up my pace towards a dry shelter to stay in until the heavy storm was over. Home was quite far from here but a cozy little barn would work and so I sat in between the comfy patches of hay, smelling the strong earthy scent as the storm grew colder. The tapping of the rain grew louder as the small abandoned barn shook with the wind. That's when my brain realised that this snuggly little barn was weak and shook when only a few merciless winds hit it.

Exiting the barn and looking for a more stable shelter, my eye caught the outline of a tiny, wood house. My body started walking towards it under the gloomy sad tears falling from the dark agonized sky and before my wet fingers knocked on the wretched door, it slid open creaking in the process. Only a candle illuminated the dark, ancient room. My curiosity pushing me further and off my cozy shelter hunting mission, my feet walked forward and into a black bath, coughing out the inhaled smoke whilst waving my hands like a baffled fanatic.

An aged old-fashioned man, his eyes heavy with wrinkles, stared right at me, piercing my soul with his dark, concentrated eyes. No words were spoken by him, nor by me, and so my body started backing away to make a quick exit until the creaking door closed as the man's crumpled hand waved at it with one swift motion. Raising my arms in surrender, he shakily pointed towards a tiny antique table with two timeworn chairs. Sitting down with him felt weird, and somewhat uncomfortable but with him sitting in front of me with a bright glowing orb between us, told me that it'll be a long stormy night with lots of freaky fortune telling.