[14] Because They Care

Kyle

"That was hurtful, Lloyd. You really put a load on my pride!" I say in mock hurt. 

Malory and I have been sitting on the floor for the past half hour talking about our various episodes of duo hell. 

"It was the least I could do when you became a stubborn splinter in my life!" she yells, laughing.

I laugh along –because something about her laugh makes me happy.

Maybe it's just that I'm glad to see she's okay right now.

I'm glad we're talking this out. 

I sigh and stretch. "We were so immature and stupid. Look at all the shit we've done to each other. It amazes me that we haven't made it into a history book breaking the record for the most pathetic petty world conflicts to take place between two people."

"We're capable of turning the conspiracy of World War Three into a teenage drama novel."

She's probably right.

We laugh and Malory's stomach growls. 

"Well, that's my cue," she says, standing. "I'm gonna go get some food. What do you want? Come to the kitchen –there's all sorts of junk there."

Wait...

Just like that?

The conversation's over?

We were just laughing and talking and sorting this mess out.

And one stupid growling stomach had to end that?

I never thought I'd be angrier at Malory's stomach than I would be at her.

"I... think I should probably head home now, actually. I should be fine till I get there," I say, reluctantly.

She scoffs, baffled. "Don't be ridiculous, Davidson. Look at the hour! Look outside! It's dark and you are not walking all the way to Millennium Lane from here. That's at least an hour and a half of walking and you're not going to get a taxi any time soon."

"What are you talking about? I've been doing that since I was-" 

-Nope.

Whoops. Whoops.

Shut up! Shut up! Shut Up!

I shoot Malory a look of anxiety for one quick moment before realising I shouldn't panic in front of her.

Kyle, you idiot.

I think I'm to just do myself a favour and cut off my tongue. 

Literally.

Malory folds her arms. "Since you were what?"

"What I mean is... you really shouldn't be the one to talk!" I say, quickly. "You live here all alone, come home in darkness after work, wake up early and travel in darkness... It's a wonder you've never been preyed upon by a paedophile."

"WHAT?" she says, and suddenly she's raising her voice. "I know how to fight, Kyle! Who said I've never had to fight!?"

I'm startled by her sudden defence. "What..." I mutter, my voice low.

What's that supposed to mean?