[28] Full Speed

Malory

Olivia sighs into her food, holding her head up with her erected arm on the table. "My parents are coming back in a few days and the only bit of living I've done was get drunk on Ron's birthday and curse," she rolls her eyes, "I'm such a rebel."

"What, you were expecting to become a lowlife?" I ask, smirking.

"No," She replies, grimacing, "But I was expecting to do more. Aunt Naomi couldn't care less about me once she doesn't get into trouble if I'm hurt or something happens to me in general. Rachel and Denise are just picky snobs. They'll only be there till Sunday now. I wasted my chance at doing a world of things. That just makes me depressed."

"On the bright side, you did meet a good looking guy," I say, grinning, "And you can't seem to stop thinking about him from the looks of it. You're in this sort of consistent dreamy daze."

"I did happen to see him again. We talked a few times. He's a cool guy," she says, shrugging.

"What did you say his name was? Dale?"

"Dale Crosby," she says with a nod. 

"Why do you seem so... uneasy whenever I mention him?" I ask.

She gives me a pointed look. "Mal. I've never been out with a guy. Maybe this is just another one of those stupid crushes and nothing will happen and it'll eventually fade away. I know the storyline all too well. I've lived it over and over and over again. It's annoying now."

I groan and hit her on her shoulder. "Olivia, there is some great guy out there for you. All you have to do is wait –and just be yourself. It won't hurt to finish school first, would it?"

"I was hoping I'd get asked to prom at least. It's probably the only party I'll ever be able to go to with my parent's permission."

I scoff. "Maybe I should ask Ron to ask you to prom."

"Ron?" She asks in disbelief, "Real funny, Mal. Ron's a great guy –but..." She trails off.
I raise a brow. "But...?"

She twists her closed mouth to the side and thinks about it. "I don't know. I guess I just never really saw Ron that way. He was always just a friend."

I laugh. I laugh really, really hard. "Olivia," I say, patting her on her shoulder, "Listen to yourself. Look at Kyle and me. The two most unlikely people in the school –no, in the world, actually getting along. If there's anything I've learned, it's that nothing is impossible."

She's the one raising a brow now. "What?" she smirks, "Are you saying you'd date Kyle?"

My smile fades. "No way! I never said-" she bursts out laughing. I glare at her. "I never said that," I tell her. "I meant that if the two most unlikely people can become friends, then anything else is possible," I wave at her, annoyed. "Ahhg, you know what I meant."

"Where are those two anyway?" She asks, "Kyle didn't come to school and Ron's not here either?"

I frown. She doesn't know that they're not talking to each other. She doesn't know what's going on behind the scenes. 

"I guess we'll just find out what's going on with them later," I say, shrugging. "But I'm not worried. They're Kyle and Ron. They can handle themselves."

I find myself trying to believe that for myself more than for Olivia. Does she even know what a statement like that's supposed to mean?"

___