[46] Beginnings

Malory

"We are in so much trouble," Kyle says to me, over my shoulder. 

He almost lets go of me, but I squeeze him tighter.

"Don't let go of me," I say. "Just... stay here a little bit longer."

"The show's over, Malory. The audience is leaving. People backstage are going to think we're weird."

"I don't care... just... let me hug you for a second more."

"I know this isn't the right conversation to have right this instant," he says, "But are you okay?"

"I'm fine. I'm good. I'm great. It's all great," I say. 

It'll be okay now. It'll all be okay. It'll be over soon. It's already over.

"Let's go," Kyle says, finally becoming free of my grasp. "I won't ask you unnecessary questions. You had a long day."

___

The final night of the play arrives, and for once, everything runs smoothly. Kyle and I perform before the audience from beginning to the end, and nothing goes wrong.

All of the teachers, and the Supervisor of the District are here, and for once, both Kyle and I feel relieved that something has gone right.

When the play is over, almost the entire audience has left, and the Year Fives are and auxiliary staff are cleaning up the auditorium, Kyle and I find ourselves on the stage again, packing up props and clearing the floor. Something about tonight feels off, and Kyle and I work separately, and in silence.

When we're done, I feel a strong sadness.

Now that the play is over, the reason why we were forced to do this in the first place comes back to me. 

Kyle and I were enemies.

Kyle and I never got along. 

Kyle and I were never standing on common ground.

But look at where we are now. 

I walk on stage to look out at the auditorium one last time. This is the last play I'll be in as a Year Five. The last play I'll be in before I graduate. Kyle walks on stage, a garbage bag full of costumes in his hand. I turn to him.

"Congratulations," I say, with a small smile. 

He scoffs. "For what?"

"For a job well done," I tell him. "Thankfully, we got to do the play properly at least once."

"You did a great job, too," he says. "Hey, did you hear what the supervisor said?"

"What did she say?" I ask.

"She said she really liked the twist we put on the show. How we changed up the characters every single night. Ron and Olivia being the first, and then on the second night how after the five years Valerie's actress changed to appear as though she had really become older, and then tonight with us. She said she liked it."

I scoff. "Of course. I forget that the audience doesn't realise that there is much more to what happens onstage sometimes."

There's a short, awkward silence between us. I sigh.

"I guess it's all over now," I say, "Isn't it?"

"What is?" he asks me.

"This was all an effort to help you and I to get along," I remind him. "And we ended up living a drama instead of acting. But it's over now."