[32] Lengths of Trust

Malory

"And we talked and talked and talked about everything –oh darling, he's a charming one," mom says.

Kyle shoves his hands into his pockets and sighs, Olivia turns to Ron and tries to laugh –we're all trying to conceal the fact that we know the truth about him.

Either way, my mom is going to get hurt –and I can't stop that from happening, and I can't help it. She'll either find out he's a bad guy through a bad experience, or she'll learn the truth –there's a fifty-fifty chance that either could happen. 

"At least one of us had fun," Olivia says, offering her a smile.

"And you stayed safe," I tell her. 

"Grey, dear," my mom says, "Have you settled into the guest room yet? You should go get your stuff in order so you can come back down to relax."

"I have, Aunt Margaret," he says, smiling. 

I still can't believe he's here.

Grey Fortune –my absolute favourite person in the whole wide world –my inspiration –my spirit animal.

"I'm free to relax now," he says. "Besides, it's the first time that I'll be meeting Malory's friends. I should at least know some of them."

I laugh. "All you need to know is that none of these guys are who they appear to be. None of them are quiet. None of them are kind. They're all mean. They're all wild."

Grey laughs. "Sounds a lot like someone I know."

"Two people come to mind," I tell him, smirking. 

You and I.

"Isn't that right," he says in agreement. "However, I bet they're not as blunt as I am."

"They aren't," I tell him. "I'm the queen of insults around here."

"You've learnt well. You've had a great teacher," he says, fixing his curly black locks neatly over the side part. 

"Hey," I say to Olivia, "You know how Grey got his name?" She looks at me puzzled. "So basically, when he was born, his eyes were grey –pretty much just like how mine are right now –but as he got older they sort of completely turned blue."

"Whoa," Ron says, amused. "That's so cool."

"Unfortunately," Grey says to him, "Malory did not inherit the ability to transition from something grey to irresistibly attractive," he looks at me smugly.

"Shut up," I say, laughing. I throw a cushion at him. 

Kyle reaches into his pocket and pulls out his phone.

"Um," He hums, "Guys, I'll have to leave soon."

My smile fades –so does Ron's –so does Olivia's.

"I've got a lot to do before I can enjoy the holidays," he says, covering up everything else he wants to say.

"Uh, yea," Ron says, "Actually, Olivia and I should probably head out, too. Mal," he says, turning to me, "You have to work this evening right?"

"Oh, no," I say, "It's a Friday, remember?"

"Oh, riiiiiight," Olivia says. "You're off on Fridays."

"So I'm free. I can pester Grey all evening," I smirk, folding my arms and leaning into the back of the couch. 

"My mom said she'll be here to pick me up soon," Olivia says. "So I can just wait it out. Ron," she turns to him, "If you have to go, then you should head out before it gets late."