[24] Birthday Blast

Malory

Thankfully, Kyle has chosen to sit in the front seat while Olivia and I take the back. Ron drives off with a beep and soon enough we're out of the street. Olivia, Ron and Kyle are talking but I don't really know what to say. I've been trying to act as normal as I could, but I'm sitting in the backseat of a friend's car with a murderer in the passenger's seat. 

"Mal," Ron says, I hum in response, "Why are you so quiet?"

Kyle glances across to his right slightly to look at me but then he doesn't. He looks ahead again.
"I'm just feeling guilty is all," I say. "Guilty that I didn't get you a birthday gift."

Ron's fingers tap on the steering wheel. "Hmmm, but I know how you can make it up to me."

"You do?" I ask, sitting up a bit straighter. I look at him through the rear view mirror. He smirks at me. "What madness are you planning to make me do?"

"Let's go to your place," he says. "That's how you'll make it up to me. I've never actually been to your house –in fact I'm the only one out of the four of us who hasn't been to your house. Perfect birthday present."

"But wouldn't you rather go out and have fun?" I ask.

"We can have fun at your place –you do have music and a TV and the internet and a kitchen, right?" He asks, pretending to be distressed.

I roll my eyes. "Yes. Yes I do." I raise my hands in defeat. "Fine. Let's go to my place. But I've got nothing to eat or drink –no snacks or anything."

"I'm down with the drinks," Kyle says, smirking and raising his bag. He pats it and turns to Ron. "Dude, I can't believe I totally passed your parents straight with a bag full of alcohol."

Alcohol? 

What, is he planning to get Ron drunk?

"You're kidding," Ron says, surprised. He laughs. "Kyle, are you serious? You bought bottles of alcohol? Are you kidding me?"

"No, Roomie," he says. "I'm not. I know you wanted to try it at least once in your life."

Ron pretends to be teary-eyed. "Kyle, my bro, my best friend, buddy, did I ever tell you how much I love you, man?"

"He's extremely happy today," Olivia whispers to me. "I've never seen Ron so... outgoing. He's always so quiet."

"Quiet?" I ask, blinking, "No way."

"What about cake and ice cream?" Ron asks, "I told my parents I'd bring something back –cake or something."

"Maybe we should make a stop off at the grocery first before going over to Malory's place," Olivia suggests.

"Fine by me," I say.

So we turn into the parking lot of a supermarket.

___

There's a large, round, black forest cake, already sliced into pieces, sitting on the table. There are so many bottles of beer and vodka and juice that I can already see the hangover everyone's going to have when this is all over. I don't want to be a part of the drunkenness. Not this time; maybe some other time, but not this time.

We're all sitting around the dining room table –usually empty and quiet unless my mom is home- and we're playing a game. We're playing 'Most Likely.'

"Most likely to dump a girl and then call her up for a one night stand –and have her accept it," Ron says.

Olivia laughs. "Why do I feel like that's you?"