[36] An Inside Eye

Malory

"It's beautiful," she tells me, "I wish someone gave me something half as pretty as that."

I stare down at the crystal pendant around my neck.

"Who would've thought," I say, scoffing, "Who would've thought we'd be this close? We used to literally give each other headaches and black eyes," I shrug, "Now we're patching each other up and exchanging fancy boxes wrapped in gift paper."

"At least you can talk about your friendship," Olivia says, frowning, "I don't exactly know where I stand with Ron anymore."

"If he's being a bitch and confusing you just talk to him about it," I tell her. "Ask him."

"You know how I am," she says, "You know how I get around guys."

"I don't know what to tell you, Olive. Ron has clearly shown interest in you by kissing you deliberately, so I don't see why you can't get over it and just talk the matter out."

"Did..." she pauses to examine her question internally, "Did you and Kyle really talk about it? Like nothing?"

I nod. "We did. And as you can see, we're still friends."

My best friend bites her lip. "Perhaps I could try..."

"If not, I'll beat him up and find you some other guy with good intentions."

"Literally all I've ever wanted out of my high school life was a chance to be able to go to prom –to be asked to prom by a nice guy and to actually get permission from my parents to go. You know that. That's literally all I've ever wanted."

"It's still possible," I tell her, being the comfort she needs, "We still have a few months, it's only early January. I'm sure we can work something out."

"Where are those two anyway?" she asks me. "Kyle didn't show up to class today."

"I never know what Kyle's up to anymore," I say, shoving a fry into my mouth and sighing, "But Ron... at least thanks to his politeness he's made me aware that he's babysitting today."

"Reed?" Olivia asks, "Gosh, he's such a cutie, I love him so much," she says, squishing her cheeks. "I could eat him."

"Okay, Cannibal, save your true colours for when you see him next –I didn't mean to trigger your appetite," I say, laughing. 

She rolls her eyes.

"How was practice on Friday?" I ask. "I'm sorry, Grey had me doing errands all day and I really couldn't make it. And my mom kept insisting that I should spend that day at home anyway because I don't know when he'll be back. I don't get to see him often, as you can imagine."

"He's handsome," Olivia says, nodding absentmindedly. "I don't know how you manage to have such attractive people in your life."

"You're attractive too," I say to her, "If I weren't straight as hell I'd date you. No shit."

"You really think so?" she asks, laughing. "Thanks, wifey."

I smirk. "Wifey? When did we get married?"

"Today. We'll invite Kyle and Ron to the ceremony."

I laugh. "I didn't even get to propose."

"Will you marry me?" she asks, lifting up her paper plate of fries and extending it towards me.

I take one. "Gladly."

"Boom. It's settled," she says.

We go back to eating. She pauses and examines the length of her hair.