[27] Inconspicuous

Malory

I am Valerie; a girl throwing herself into the mysterious world of a guy she hopes to crack; a girl who inevitably finds out his secrets; a girl who runs away from them. 

I am Malory; a girl throwing herself into the chaotic world of a guy she never really even liked; a girl finding out his secrets; a girl running away from them.

The irony. 

The water in my shower is warm –and I've been standing here long enough that I can call myself steamed human flesh –I wonder if cannibals fancy that.

I didn't have the willpower to go to school today. I didn't have the strength. I didn't have the emotional or mental stability. I stayed home and memorised my lines for the play all day. 

Now I'm getting ready for work.

I knew Kyle wasn't going to come over for practice today. After I'd shoved him out of my house verbally, I didn't expect him to show up uninvited. He told me he would never hurt me –I might as well believe it just this once, right?

I finally shift on my feet and get out of the shower. I wrap myself in my towel and head to my room. I change. I stare at my charging phone on the bedside table. I didn't bother to check it all day –not even for the time. I was afraid of what I might see.

I finally do check it, and I'm not surprised to find I've missed a lot.

Olivia: MALORY I BUMPED INTO THE GUY AGAIN

Olivia: WELL NO I DIDN'T BUMP INTO HIM

Olivia: WE TALKED WE ACTUALLY TALKED

Olivia: I'LL GIVE YOU THE DETAILS AT SCHOOL

Olivia: ALMOST THERE

If only she'd known I wasn't coming.

Olivia: why didn't you come today? Are you okay?

Sigh. Moving on.

Adrien: hey mal

Adrien: I saved notes you you

Adrien: you good? I'm actually surprised that you didn't show up for school

Adrien: oh and about the tutoring thing

Adrien: did you check your busy schedule and find out if you can help me? If not, tell me soon, I really need the help

I roll my eyes. I text him back.

Malory: Hey Adrien, yea I'm okay, thanks for saving the notes. About the tutoring, how are lunch times and frees? Unless you would prefer a weekend. Sunday evenings can work for me.

He didn't take too long to reply.

Adrien: cool, I can do Sundays. We barely have any free periods in school and lunch times are way too short –and I don't want to take your lunch break away.

Malory: where do you want to meet on Sundays?

Adrien: anywhere is fine, really. How's the cafe? We can sit there and talk and we won't be disrupted by a menopausal librarian.

Malory: LMAO what the hell

Malory: yea sure, the cafe is fine. The Dandelion Cafe just a walk from our school?

Adrien: works for me

Malory: cool. How's 2:30 for you?

Adrien: 2:30's fine. How long will the tutoring go on for?