Comfort and Confessions Part 1

(Ash's pov)

"Here we are Mr. Ketchum, the Queen's office is right through this door." Said the maid cheerfully.

"Her office? Here I was expecting a throne room." I replied jokingly.

"Oh don't be silly, this isn't the middle ages, we're modern here. Anyway, I've got to get back to work now, tootles!" Replied the maid with a giggle.

"Right, thanks a lot." I said.

I turned to face the door and gulped nervously. This was a totally new feeling, a mix of fear and anxiety that had me frozen in place. The only other time I've ever felt anything close to this was when I met with Headmistress Diantha, but this is easily ten times worse.

"Come on Ash, get it together. You're gonna have to go in there eventually." I mumbled to myself.

I took a deep breath and exhaled.

"Here goes nothing!" I said as I reached for the doorknob.

My hand wasn't even an inch away from the doorknob, when suddenly it flew open. I jumped back in surprise and looked up to see who opened the door. Aaand guess who was staring back at me.

"Gah! H-hey Calem!" I said nervously.

Calem cocked an eyebrow.

"So...are you going to come in here or are you just going to stand out in the hall and talk to yourself?" He asked flatly.

"Oh uhh s-sorry, I was just getting nervous." I said.

Calem opened his mouth to say something when suddenly a voice came from inside.

"Calem darling, please leave the poor boy alone. I understand how he must feel." Said the voice.

Calem sighed slightly.

"As you wish, mother." He said.

Mother...wait, so that was the Queen's voice! She sounds exactly like an older Serena!

Calem opened the door the rest of the way and gestured me to come in. Given that I've already wasted enough of their time as it is, I quickly walked inside. I immediately noticed Serena wasn't here, she must have gone to her room or something. The office itself was very spacious, it was filled with artwork of previous rulers, it had massive bookshelves, and a huge stained glass window behind the Queen's desk that led out onto a balcony.

I took a few steps in and Calem shut the door behind us. I turned my attention forward and....wow. The Queen, she was beautiful. She was sitting at her desk, smiling warmly at me.

"So, you're the infamous roommate I've heard so much about. I, Grace Yvonne, Queen of the Kalos region welcome you Mr. Ketchum." Said Grace in a welcoming manner.

I just stood there with a dumbfounded look on my face, then I tensed up.

"H-hi your Grace, m-my name's Ash Ketchum from Pallet town!" I stammered while bowing.

Darn it me, you don't just say hi to a queen!

Queen Grace let out a light laugh.

"Well it's a pleasure to meet you Ash. Please, raise your head and have a seat, I want to have a quick chat with you." Said Grace.

"Y-yes ma'am!" I replied.

I quickly did as she said. I'm not gonna lie, as kind as she's being, I don't think I've ever been more scared than I am right now.

"Now then, Calem, I would like for you to wait outside please." Said Grace.

"What, but mother what are you-!?" Grace held up her hand, cutting Calem off.

"Calem, now." Said Grace calmly, yet assertively.

"...As you wish, mother..." Calem said, clearly frustrated.

Calem then left the room.

Okay, scratch that about what I said about being scared, I'm absolutely terrified. I though Calem was an intimidating guy, but now I see where he gets it.

"I'm terribly sorry for the way my son has treated you, he can be a little over protective of Serena. Please don't take it personally." Grace said.

"No don't worry it's fine, I totally understand!" I said.

Grace sighed.

"That's a relief, I knew this would eventually become an issue if Serena started going to a real school. Now then, there is something I would like to briefly discuss with you." Said Grace, in a more serious tone than before.

I gulped again.

"Y-yes ma'am. I'm...I'm not in trouble am I?" I asked.

"No not all, it's quite the opposite in fact. I actually wanted to thank you." Said Grace.

"Thank me? I don't think I understand. What did I do?" I asked.

"I wanted to thank you for everything you've done for my daughter. You gave her something she could never have gotten from Calem, her father, or I, and that is friendship. True friendship." Said Grace happily.

I blushed and scratched my cheek in embarrassment.

"N-no it's nothing really, she's made a lot of friends at school." I replied bashful like.

"No Ash, I appreciate your modesty, but you're very different from the others. In the calls between Serena and I, she did mention the other friends she made, but she didn't speak nearly as highly of them as she spoke of her roommate, you. And even though you weren't quite what I was expecting, I can tell just by looking at you that you are the good person Serena spoke about so much." Said Grace with a smile.

I was so surprised, I had no idea Serena thought THAT highly of me.

"I...I don't know what to say. Honestly, I think I should be the one thinking you for allowing her to attend the academy. If you hadn't, I wouldn't have been able to meet her. And you know, I think she's the amazing one. She's smart, kind, beautiful, and she cares deeply for all of the people at the academy and the people of Kalos." I said.

I saw Grace's eyes become glossy and tears of joy started to form in the corners of her eyes.

"You have no idea how relieved I am hear you say that Ash. We were all so worried about Serena, but thanks to you I feel much more at ease with all of this. I also wanted to sorry I am." Said Grace wiping her eyes.

"Sorry, what do you mean? You have nothing at all to be sorry for!" I said.

"No Ash, as Queen of Kalos, I do. You have been dragged into a national issue. You should never have had to get involved, and on behalf of the entire Kalosian government, I am so very sorry." Said Grace.

I shook my head.

"No your majesty, please don't be sorry. No one forced me to be a part of the investigation into the Berlitz family, I made the choice to do it for Serena's sake." I said.

Grace looked very surprised, I guess Serena never told her about this.

"But...why, why would you put yourself at risk like that?" Asked Grace.

"Because I just couldn't forgive myself if Serena took this on herself and I didn't at least try to help her. She's been working so hard and trying her very best to be helpful in this investigation. The least I can do is be there for her when she needs me." I said.

Grace was completely taken aback. She looked at me like I was some kind of hero or something. A warm smile formed on her face.

"You really care for her, don't you Ash." She said.

I blushed and nodded slowly. Then I looked her straight in the eye.

"...Yes ma'am...I love her..."