Comfort and Confessions Part 2

(Ash's pov)

Grace's expression was one of utter shock. Her eyes were wide and she was covering her mouth with one hand.

'Holycrapholycrapholycrap!!' I thought to myself.

Did I really just say that I loved Serena to her own mother, who just so happens to be the Queen!? Oh man, I think I may have just goofed big time.

There was complete silence for what felt like forever. Grace looked as if she was still trying to comprehend what she had just heard and I was trying not to let my anxiety take over me. After a minute or so, Grace broke the silence.

"...Ash?" Said Grace.

I stiffened up.

"Y-yes!?" I replied, louder than I intend to.

Grace stood up, walked a few steps behind her, and started to gaze out of the large window behind her. A move which, honestly, intimidated me a bit. It definitely made her look like she was considering some...options of how to handle this situation. After a few seconds, she glanced back at me.

"Do you truly mean what you said? Are you truly in love with my daughter?" Grace asked seriously.

"...Yes ma'am, yes I am." I replied nervously.

"I see..." Grace said as she faced forward again.

I wanted to say something, I didn't quite know what exactly, but this tense silence was getting hard to handle. What was she going to say? I'm not about to be executed or something, am I?

"U-um, your majesty, you aren't upset...are you?" I asked hesitantly.

All of a sudden, I heard sonething that I was not expecting at all. Grace let out a light laugh.

"Upset? Heavens no child, this is just rather unexpected." Said Grace.

"R-really, you really aren't mad?" I asked for confirmation.

Grace turned around to face me. She was smiling a warm, glowing, and motherly smile.

"Not at all she said, in fact I'd say that what you've said has been quite heart warming and sweet." Said Grace.

I blushed and scratched my cheek.

"Y-you think so? Thank you ma'am." I replied bashful like.

Grace smiled and nodded.

"I think I see now where a portion of Serena's increased drive and joy comes from. It's from you." Said Grace as she walked back to her desk and sat down.

I chuckled and scratched the back of my head, embarrassed from the complement. But, then I began to think about how down Serena's been feeling this evening and my smile faded.

"Yeah...I just wish I could help cheer her up now. She blames herself for everything that's gone wrong with the investigation, even though it was my fault. I really hate seeing her beat herself up like that." I said.

"I see, so that's why she wasn't acting like herself. Have you tried to talk to her about it?" Asked Grace.

"Well, I would have, but every time I even so much as looked at her on the way here, Calem gave me a death glare." I said.

Grace's forehead twitched and she made a frustrated sigh.

"Did he now, well I think I'm going to have to have a talk with him later. Ash, I'd say Serena needs you right now. I doubt she would listen to me, and I know for a fact she will not listen to Calem. So, could you please talk to her for me?" Asked Grace.