eighteen

"Guess what?" I spoke eagerly into my phone, the words coming out a bit too loud.

"You got hit by a truck?" Sydney let out a faint chuckle as she was trying to catch her breath. She was probably still working out with Denise, poor thing.

"Oh my god, no. I got a job, at a bookstore called 'Campbell's books'." I explained, trying to wrap my scarf around my neck with one hand. It seemed impossible, because it just slipped right of my neck and landed on the ground behind me.

"Oh, well that's great. Will you make a lot of money, like, so you can move out?" She spoke into my ear as I reached down to pick up my scarf, wrapping it around my neck, and this time it stayed there. I sighed and continued to stroll down the street, not quite sure of where I am headed.

"I don't know yet, when I asked for the job this guy just told me that I start on Wednesday, which is tomorrow." I half sighed, running my hand though my hair.

I walked by a couple, standing pressed up against the wall of a building, making out. It looked like the boy was trying to swallow the girls face. It felt quite uncomfortable watching them make out, so I looked away and contined to stroll down the street. I wonder what it'd be like if Niall and I did something like that.

I wonder how his body would feel pressed up to mine, just like that couple. I wonder what it'd be like if we made out on the street, with everyone who walked by, watching us.

"Ella? Are you there?" Sydney's voice pulled me back to reality.

"What?" I slurred like i'd just been woken up. And I had, i'd been woken up from my thoughts.

"I said that i am dead tired and Denise just keeps pushing me. My back is like a waterfall, I'm sweating like a pig, I swear." She groaned as she let out a heavy sigh.

I chuckled and she continued to ramble about how much she dreads going to the gym and how she is already fit. All I said during the conversation was - Mhm, Yeah, Okay, and oh. She literally never stopped talking.

"Syd, I've got to hang up now, I've got to do something.." I interrupted.

"Oh okay, are you meeting up with Niall?" She asked after finishing her sentence.

What? Meet up with Niall?

"What? Why would I?" I asked her, surprised by her sudden question about Niall.

"I heard him talking on the phone to someone saying that he'd invite you somewhere."

"What?" I exclaimed. Invite me somewhere?

"Yeah, but I don't know where, though." She mumbled,

We exchanged goodbyes and I wished her good luck on surviving her intense workout session. God, Denise can be pushy sometimes.

I decided to go into the nearest café and get myself a cup of coffee. I sat down by a table located right by a window. I looked out at the people walking by. After a couple of minutes a waiter appeared infront of me. He was a tall blonde guy and looked about my age, and reminded me a lot of Niall with his board shoulders and muscular arms.

The waiter looked like he belonged in the gym, not in a café. Mabe he could be Denises new workout partner, instead of Sydney reluctantly getting pulled to the gym every once in a while; Who knows?

"Hello," His lips curled into a warm smile. "What can I get you?"

"Uhm, just a cup of black coffee please." I smiled politely and looked up at him.