15

Jane's POV

I sat in the back of the car and waited for them with my eyes closed to continue driving forward into my next era of life. Rain pattered on the windows and the two of them talked amongst each other in the front seat as they drove on the main road. I stared out the window wondering if I would ever see my brother again, or Ben, or Ciara, or even Harry.

The car slid forward as the man stepped on the breaks and dead bodies crashed against the car breaking the windshield and flipping the car over onto its hood.

I didn't have time to think as dead ones began to crawl into the car and immediately started chomping on the two in front of me. Blood squirted all over me and all over the inside of the car as they hit their arteries. The dead hands of the infected sunk into the woman and man's stomachs like it was jello and pulled their organs out and shoved them into their starving mouths.

I screeched at the sight and fought for my life so it wouldn't happen to me too. Sitting upside down in my seat and with trembling hands, I unbuckled myself and flung open the side door as my ankle was grabbed by a dead one. I drug the dead one out through the side door and slammed the car door until its arm broke off in the crevice.

"Get off," I grunted with each crack of the bone as the metal door slammed onto the arm.

The growls and gurgling from decomposed throats surrounded me and I screamed for help, but no one was around to help me. We'd been on the road for fifteen minutes and were already on the other side of town. The rain had begun to lighten and I fought my way away from the dead and called out again for someone to help me. It proved useless once more and I screamed in frustration as they started getting closer and closer.

I found my footing as I scooted backwards on the blacktop road and started to sprint back to the camp. Without stopping and without looking back, I finally was able to see the walls of the camp from the road. Out of breath and more than exhausted, I fell to my knees as I realized I was done fighting for my life.

I smiled now that I was home.

The guard at the lookout point shot his gun off and I heard the bullet zip past me and hit the blacktop behind me. I screamed and flailed my hands over my head as if it would somehow shield me.

"It's me!" I yelled and hoped I wouldn't be shot. The rain had started falling harder and harder now that I was stilled. "It's me, it's me, it's me," I whispered with my head bowed down in between my knees, visibly shaking and rocking back and forth.

With my arms still covering my head, I looked up to see the gate opening and a man running towards me.

I was exhausted and the only reason I could keep my eyes open was for Harry pulling me into his body and lifting me up like a koala bear. My arms wound around his neck and my legs wrapped around his waist as he walked me into the camp again. Nuzzling my face into his neck, I cried and cried with what I had just witnessed. I hadn't ever seen anything so horrible in my life.

"Will!" Harry yelled and I could hear my brother's running as the bottom of his boots slapped into every puddle along his way.

"Jane," Will sighed and pressed his hands on my back, but I wasn't ready to let go of Harry yet. "Jesus Christ, there's blood dripping off of her everywhere. Is she hurt?"

The rain and blood matted down my hair against my face and neck. I knew it wasn't my blood, it was theirs. Harry tried to peel me off himself to probably hand me over to my brother, but like a clingy child, I held on for dear life.

He got the hint and I was taken straight to my house by him. By the time we got up to the bathroom, I had stopped crying but found myself unable to speak from how cold I was from the rain. Every inch of my skin was shaking or quivering.