32

Goal:
12 comments
6 votes

HARRY'S POV

It'd been four days since Eric took my people, my friends, my neighbors. I'd been helping Luke with defense setups for around the camp. However, every time one of us stepped outside of our walls it seemed like we were being watched. We never saw the Mad Men lurking in the shadows behind the trees, but you could hear their boots crunching leaves and their knives slicing dead ones apart in the distant woods.

It'd been an eerie four days of waiting, planning, and scheming. No one slept and no one laughed or smiled. The thirty five of us still left in camp were stoic as we thought of what our futures entailed, collectively and personally. I personally didn't have any thoughts I wanted to dwell on about my future and our future. I knew what would happen. It was just a waiting game now.

Leslie and Will were coming back today from their travels. Starting tonight, our first group would leave camp to be transported by Juan Pablo to the new camp. And throughout the next week, Leslie would leave and then Will. It was going to be a gradual transportation to keep groups separated for a "just in case" scenario.

"Hi," Jane walked in on my meeting with Luke and Juan Pablo.

Her brown hair was down for the first time in a while. It fell across her shoulders and down her back curling at the ends of her hair. Her small eyes gazed toward mine with a worried stare and I watched her take a deep breath in.

"Yeah?" I asked narrowing my eyes at her. Why was she behaving so strangely? This wasn't like her at all.

"Sorry, I didn't realize you three were..." she started to back out of my office.

I sighed and Luke did too. Juan Pablo stood from his chair as Luke spoke up before I could.

"Jane," Luke called for her and she stopped from closing the office door. Her small brown eyes peeked out from behind the door and I felt my stomach swirl with how beautiful she was. "Come on in. We're good, we're done."

Luke looked between us and slapped my arm. Hopefully we were both clear about what each other's future was for these people. I knew what I agreed to. I just hoped he did too.

"We'll talk more when Leslie and Will get back," I nodded my head toward Luke as he walked away with Juan Pablo, both of them trying to create small talk with Jane.

She shut the door once he left and turned to look back at me. Her fragile fingers tucked her deep brown hair behind her ears and she looked ghostly pale while walking toward me. We hadn't spoken a lot about how we provoked Eric the other day, but we both knew going to his camp was a mistake.

She sat down in the chair beside the one I was sitting on in front of my desk. Her eyes didn't meet mine and for a moment I thought she was going to tell me something horrible, but then she turned to look at me with soft eyes and a soft smile.

"How are you?" She asked plainly while blinking several times. It felt like a silly question in this madness, but I knew it was coming from a place of deep sincerity from Jane.

I smiled at her kindness. "I'm..." I was going to say I was doing good, but I wasn't. I felt horrible. I wasn't getting any sleep. I wasn't eating. I wasn't doing anything but planning, planning, and planning for whatever came next.