38

Harry's POV

The world was slowly coming at me. Will and I were brought on a stakeout of another group nearby where the Mad Men were claiming an even larger territory. It only took Will about three seconds to realize we were in his old town. It was the town he grew up in with Jane and his parents.

Instant tears streamed down William's face as we passed an elementary school and I wondered why. Was he missing the old memories? The more lively and pure parts of his life were probably left at that school. Then I remembered the story of Will and Jane's younger brother. I'd overhead them talking about it a few weeks ago.

It was the reason why Jane had left for Atlanta and why William had gone further into his addictions. Will had been in an accident after being inebriated and his younger brother Jason, who was just a child, had been killed in that accident. Something I would also blame myself for and also something that would be hard to forgive your sibling for.

The elementary school we were passing must have been the school Jason attended. That was why William had lost his stone cold demeanor.

We sat together in the bed of the truck and I refused to look or worry about Will any longer. The shaking desire of opioids made my hands tremble and my skin sweat even more. My knee bounced nervously, up and down, up and down, up and down. The tips of my fingers tapped away on my arms and my anxiety began to build. The car slowed down and soon Mad Men were drifting through the forest looking for victims.

I was already thinking about when I would be given a pain killer again. Ever since Khan and Stanley pulled me and Will out of our rooms, it was all I could think about. The high it gave created so much ecstasy and so much relief. I craved to feel relieved again and I hated myself for it.

The truck stopped at a house and most of the men dispersed into the woods. I never realized how many Mad Men traveled together at once, but then I realized how predatory they were in the wild. No wonder I'd only ever seen a few every now and then back before they captured us. Only a few of them were fucked up enough to be fucking idiots and get caught.

Will and I were pulled from the truck and sat at the tires with our hands tied together with rope. The air around us was thick with smoke and I wondered where the fire was located and who started it.

"A fire is only going to attract more infected," I coughed while talking to the Mad Men that stayed behind to watch me, Will and the truck.

"No shit," one said and the others laughed.

"There's no fire," a familiar voice sounded and I turned my head to see Sawyer walk around the end of the truck and crouch down to be eye to eye with me.

An instant jolt to punch him tensed my muscles, but I refrained for something much better.

"Well, there was a fire," Sawyer smirked that charming, wide grin of his. A few of his once perfect teeth were now chipped and stained. It was a significant change from his look when he stayed at my camp. Back before I banished him to another state in the fucking apocalypse.

He chuckled when he saw me visibly tense at his sudden appearance. The last time I saw him was when I sent Will to drop him off across state borders. I'd beaten the shit out of him for what he did to Jane. Even with his stab wound then, I had no problem busting his face up a little more than it was. And from what Will had told me, he had done the same to Sawyer after dropping him off.

Jane... My heart began to ache which triggered more anger and distaste. Jane...

"There was also some stowaways from your camp here. Don't worry, we got them though," he winked at me and I ground my teeth tightly in hope that I didn't react to him.

"Penelope, Mary Lou, Magdalene, Karson, Omni, Jack and little Jack Jr. We got 'em all," Sawyer laughed and crouched down to stare at me.

My nose flared and my lips twitched wanting to say something to him so badly. Anger and distaste curdled in the pit of my empty stomach and if Will hadn't spoken up I would have gotten myself killed.

"You're killing babies now, Sawyer?" Will looked just as disgusted with Sawyer as I presumed I did.

"I'm not the only one," Sawyer's eyes lit up with excitement and I had forgotten that I first met them both together at the start of this all. Sawyer must have known about what happened to Jason, Will's younger brother, and now he was using it to torture Will.

What happened to Jason was terrible, but mistakes happen. Will never intended to kill his little brother. It was a mistake and it wasn't a premeditated and cruel act like Sawyer's probably was.

Thinking about Sawyer killing my people...it angered me more than I knew how to control. My fists tightened together and I closed my eyes.

Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out.

"You," a thought clicked in my head. My green eyes narrowed at Sawyer crouching in front of me still. "You brought Eric to my camp."

"Your camp?" Sawyer's eyes widened with excitement about conflict and he twisted his head back and forth to me and Will. "Last time I checked pal, it was our camp."

"Except you didn't contribute," I pursed my lips as the sick fuck frowned at me. "I only took lead because everyone wanted me to. I never insisted on it. I didn't pressure anyone into making me the leader, Sawyer. I was given the title because I earned it and because I cared about them."

"And look where it got them," Sawyer backed away from me and I sneered at him.

"Fuck off."

"Oh I intend to. I intend to fuck Jane as soon as I get back to base. I hope she enjoys the feel of my cock exploding into her while she screams and screams for her boyfriend and brother to save her. Harry! Will! Save me!"

I stayed quiet and tried to fight off my anger again. I couldn't feel. I couldn't let myself give that to him. I didn't want to. I didn't want to feel betrayed and guilty. I wanted to feel numb. So I felt numb. I turned my emotions off.

"Jane is not my priority," I mumbled so Will wouldn't hear me say it.

"More for me then," Sawyer smirked and I felt my fingers twitch to reach up and grab his neck. But I took a deep breath in and focused on controlling myself.