30

GOAL:

7 VOTES

15 COMMENTS

Jane's POV

"HEAR YE! HEAR YE! HEAR YE!" Eric started over again realizing everyone was listening and watching his performance. "Last night, these two love birds were seen on my premises. Now..." he paused and I watched the crowd's faces constrain in horror of whatever he was doing behind me and Harry. "...I've learned that the two of them have stone-cold murdered a handful of my men. How did y'all feel when we came into your camp and killed your mommy's and daddy's?"

My eyes shut remembering Harry covered in blood the other night. He had told me he murdered Mad Men, but I wasn't sure if they were stragglers or if they camped at the factory base. I supposed I still didn't know much about what he had done and what had caused him to go out of his way to do it. Then the two Mad Men from the other day at the pharmacy surfaced in my brain. Maybe Specter was the one who had followed us back to camp and that was how Eric had found us? Maybe this was mine and Harry's fault. Maybe we did deserve to die.

"That wasn't a pleasant feeling was it?" Eric continued pacing behind us.

I watched the innocent people in front of me become even more emotional, some even spilling tears, with the raw memory. I even had to close my eyes and take a deep breath to rid my memories of killing their brains and watching their soulless bodies collapse to the ground.

It was a horrible, horrible feeling. It felt like a knife had stuck into my abdomen and started to rip up to my throat. Nothing would take and deliver me away from the pain I felt so deeply for those who have passed. Nothing and no one could soothe the heartache.

"So, imagine how I felt? How my people felt when we had to explain that they wouldn't be seeing those folks anymore... You all may think I'm heartless, but I'm not. I'm a goal oriented person. I like challenges. Back in the old world, I was an adrenaline junkie, and I still am!"

I swallowed and heard Harry sigh beside me. I hoped he listened to what I asked of him. If he was the man I thought I knew and cared about, he would do what I asked. But I also prayed he would be patient, smart, and careful.

"However," Eric jumped from the roof of the truck into the bed of the truck with me and Harry. The truck lowered and Harry and I lost balance for a second. I tensed knowing Eric was walking towards Harry and I but I couldn't tell where he was at behind us. "Harry and Jane have put me in a predicament," he said my name with an inflection.

"I was bullied as a kid for being pale and super blonde, and as an adult, I'm not going to put up with such behavior. And this is what happens when I feel bullied."

All of the sudden, a Mad Man pulled Kelsey from the crowd and she started flailing her arms and legs until two more Mad Men had to come constrain her. Harry stiffened beside me and I felt my chest go tight at the sight of them taking her instead of me. I turned in the bed of the truck and stared at Eric.

"No," I said too authoritatively for Eric's liking. He frowned at me and grabbed my chin with his long, slender fingers squeezing my cheeks into my teeth. He pushed me back and I landed straight on my back in the bed of the truck. He stepped over me and I started talking again. "Take me," I begged out of breath while hearing my neighbors shouting for this to all stop.

This caused him to laugh and he shook his head. "You wouldn't last in there, sweetheart. My men would eat you for dinner. You're too valuable for that."

He walked away from me and towards Harry. I tried to roll onto my side but winced in pain. My eyes found the sandy-haired Mad Man from earlier and he looked down at me from sitting on the side of the truck with a concerned expression watching Eric throw a fit. His throat swallowed and he removed his eyes from me and I looked to see what he was looking at with those stoic eyes of his.