Experiments & Clock Towers

Chapter 8: Experiments & Clock Towers. 

Jai's POV:

"Don't touch me there!" I yelled in irritation, batting away the bizarre man's hand. "What the hell is wrong with you, man?" 

He sighed exasperatedly, pushing his flaxen hair behind his ear. “Please stay still,” he murmured, eyes narrowly focused as he diligently attached some armour around my torso. It was light, and made of flimsy material – in fact, it barely passed as any form of protection – but it would do the job if I was strong enough to partially defend myself.

“Why am I wearing this?” I demanded persistently. The man, who I’d recently been told was named Vexen, tiredly grabbed a small device and began speaking into it.

“Jai Arrons, experiment one,” he muttered. He impolitely shoved me forward into a mini arena, barricades appearing behind me. Uh oh.

Heartless suddenly surrounded me, prepared for a fight. I cursed furiously as I attempted to evade their relentless attacks. No sword would appear (just my luck), and I had no way to defend myself except to run away. I felt like such a pansy. Me, run away from a fight? It was just unheard of.

I took a deep breath, batting away at the creatures with my bare hands. They were hungrily tearing at my armour, satisfied that they obviously had the upper hand. I looked over my shoulder at Vexen who was frantically taking down notes as I was tackled to the ground by the Heartless. Was he seriously just going to watch this happen and write about it? What a weirdo.

A deep growl formed in my throat as I felt my hand wrap around something cool. I could feel my heart rate increasing as adrenaline coursed through my veins and I rose from the ground. My newly-found weapon sliced through all the creatures around me, immediately making them vanish.

“Not bad,” I mumbled, content with the keyblade I was now becoming acquainted with. I rushed to take down all of the Heartless, my lips curling into my signature, fulfilled smirk. I raised my palms victoriously as I finished the last of them off, eyeing Vexen.

“Well done,” he commented, his pen poised to write at any moment. “Could you summon your keyblade again for me?”

I stared down at my hand as I raised it yet again into the air. A thrilling tingle ran down my arm, pulsing through each finger tip. Was this how it felt to summon a keyblade? I felt powerful and awesome! I could surely get used to this!

Vexen chuckled lightly, his eyes wide and inspired. My ochre orbs were just as wide as I realized how right it felt, just to wield this keyblade. I didn’t know Vexen, and I knew that he couldn’t feel emotions on his own, but I felt that we were both as moved at how remarkable the keyblade was.

“Is she okay?” a voice called timidly. The spell of the keyblade was broken as I noticed Roxas and Axel stroll into the room.

“Of course she is. You know how badass she is when she fights,” Axel murmured lazily, giving me a smirk.

“Did you do it?” Roxas asked in disbelief.

“Do what?”

“You must’ve... the Heartless are gone.”

“Do what?” I snapped at him again, my eyebrows knitted together in confusion.

“You summoned the keyblade,” Roxas said cautiously, his cerulean eyes holding my gaze with careful curiosity.

“We established that a while ago, where have you been?” I joked lightly, a smile tugging at my lips. He rolled his eyes, obviously unimpressed with my light but cynical manner.