Social Skills

Chapter 9: Social Skills.

Jai's POV:

He handed me the munny, a taunting smirk on his lips. "Go on," he encouraged me, gesturing towards the man behind the counter.

"Are you sure I can pick out whatever I want?" I questioned shyly, biting my lip.

Axel chuckled, resting a guiding hand on my shoulder. "Of all times you choose to be coy, it's in a shop? Didn't think you were the type."

"Yeah, well, I'm full of surprises, remember?" I retorted, following up with a smirk of my own. Crimson dusted Axel's cheeks as he looked down with embarrassment.

"Don't bring that up," he ordered. "Got it memorized?"

"Yeah, yeah, calm down," I snorted, rolling my eyes. Axel nudged me towards the balding man standing proudly behind the counter of the stall, and I began to internally freak out. Maybe Axel was right - my social skills were terrible.

"Hi, how can I help you?" the man greeted, his teeth glinting a pale, cream colour. I attempted to smile back, but immediately hated how forced it felt.

"Er, yeah, hi... um, the... I'll have..."

Axel sighed, stepping to my side and fixing the man with a cool, confident grin. "She'll have the necklace to your right, thanks."

I followed his gaze to see a stunning, silver chain with a petite heart pendant that shone brightly. My amber eyes widened, and I slowly shook my head.

"No, Axel, you can't-"

"Three thousand munny, please," the cashier chirped politely, beaming with excitement.

Axel urged me forward yet again to pay the man, and I'd handed the cashier the munny before I'd even realised I'd taken a step.

"Please," I said awkwardly. "Uh, I mean, um, thank you."

The cashier gave me a funny look, before carefully handing the delicate necklace to Axel and thanking us for our business. We continued to walk through the streets in silence, and it was so quiet that I'd memorized his breathing pattern. If it had been longer, I'm sure I would've been able to hear his heartbeat from-

Oh, wait...

Never mind that thought.

All of a sudden, I was roughly pushed against a wall, my arms pinned beside me.

"Your social skills are worse than I thought," Axel breathed deeply. I could feel his warm breath travelling across my skin, made painfully aware by the goose bumps that formed wherever his breath hit. He was so fucking close; I could almost feel his body through his coat.

Does that mean he could feel mine? Oh, God.

"What the hell are you doing?" I hissed. "Are you insane?"

I could feel his fingers tickling the back of my neck as he moved, and my breath hitched in my throat.

Friendly reminder, Jai, that this is a male who you don't consider a brother, and he is touching you in a way that feels intimate.

...And cue the internal freak out.

"Maybe I am a little insane," he chuckled, holding my gaze momentarily before clearing his throat and taking two steps back. "My insanity is only rivaled by yours, my dear."

I snorted quite attractively, my hands traveling to the nape of my neck. Oh, there was a necklace there. It looked like the one Axel bo- Oh, it was the one Axel bought. "You're a weirdo."