Got It Memorized?

Chapter 2: Got It Memorized?

Jai's POV:

I wandered around Ansem's Study, briefly stopping to study the portrait up on the wall. It wasn't Ansem. No, it was Xehanort, Ansem's apprentice. Well, ex-apprentice. The darkness in Xehanort's heart had consumed him, along with some of Ansem's other apprentices.

"But that means..." I gasped in disbelief as I realized what that meant. Before, I'd just thought that they had died, but there was so much more to it than that. The information that Leon had given me... It was actually really important.

The whole thing with Heartless and Nobodies and... stuff. It meant that Ansem's apprentices were out there in two other forms: Heartless and Nobody. That meant they were stronger - MUCH stronger.

But were they still alive? If so... what exactly were they up to? If they were as evil as Leon thought they were, the Nobodies had to be planning something, right? And they had never been stupid...

All the possibilities I considered scared me. Just imagining what these Nobodies could be capable of terrified me. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between human and Nobody, would I?

"Shut up, she'll hear us!" a voice hissed urgently. I turned suspiciously to see red, spiky hair sticking up above Ansem's desk. I folded my arms and pursed my lips, eavesdropping.

"What's her name?" another voice asked curiously.

"Jai Arrons," the person with the red spikes answered quietly. "We should get back to Saix so we can tell him-"

"Tell him what?" I butted in, smirking.

"Do you think she knows we're here?" the other voice asked desperately. The redhead stood up angrily, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Of course she does, dickhead," he snapped, turning to face me. "Awesome to finally meet you, Jai."

"I feel weird that you know my name, but I don't know yours," I said, smiling kindly. A spiky, blonde head popped up from under Ansem's desk, revealing a blue-eyed boy who looked a bit younger than me.

"I'm Roxas!" he exclaimed, waving at me enthusiastically. "I've heard so much about you."

I raised my eyebrows, still not knowing who these two guys were. "I wish I could say the same."

"Is your hair... purple?" Roxas questioned in disbelief, tugging on the sleeves of his long, black coat. Seriously, who wore those? They were just so unfashionable, even Leon wouldn't wear them. I'd seen him wear some pretty out there things in his time...

"Is your hair blonde?" I countered, smirking wryly. Roxas frowned, scratching his neck.

"Well, obviou-- Oh! I get it now."

"I like you already," I chuckled. "You're such a dumbass."

"I am not!" Roxas argued, pouting.

"You are," redhead replied, his arms still crossed firmly over his chest. "You're also a zombie."

I arched a questioning eyebrow. "How?"

"When I first met him, he talked lyyyk thiiisss..." redhead explained, unable to stifle his laugh. Roxas's eyes widened with embarrassment, as he flung his arms in the air.

"Hey! I did not talk like thisss!"

"No, no! Roxas, it's more... lyyyk thiiisss!" I said, trying to sound exactly like redhead had. Roxas laughed, punching redhead's arm playfully. Redhead had piercing, green eyes with strange marks underneath them. He was definitely taller than Roxas and I.