Room Thirteen

Chapter 17: Room Thirteen.

Jai's POV:

A red glow illuminated the sky. I breathed the fresh air in deeply. I'd cast off my Organization coat an hour ago, and I already felt like a different person. I'd only been apart of that Organization for just over a month, but still... it had become apart of me.

I would miss my new mentor, Xigbar. Truth be told, he wouldn't have been able to fill Leon's shoes anyway.

I would miss Roxas. He'd reminded me of my brother, but I guess he would never be a replacement for Sora.

I would miss Xion. Even though I'd hated her familiarity to begin with, she was nice. But she would never replace the familiar faces at Hollow Bastion.

The more I thought about it, the more I realised that this change wasn't necessarily a bad thing. I'd been in over my head. Things had to go to shit eventually.

Then there was Demyx and Axel. They added to my list of irreplaceable people. I guess Demyx did remind me of Yuffie? I was grasping at straws to lessen the pain. Losing two people was worse than losing one.

I'd already accepted that Axel was irreplaceable. He got on my nerves unlike anybody else. Nevertheless, he was right beside me. Literally, the guy was sitting next to me.

"You're wasting all your munny," I complained irritably. Axel rolled his eyes.

"It's not a waste; it's an investment," he clarified matter-of-factly.

"An investment, hey? Buying that much sea salt ice cream is hardly an investment."

"Don't judge," Axel chuckled lightly.

I sighed. We were sat atop the clock tower like we had been when I'd first met Xion. This time, Axel didn't have a black cloak either. I was surprised that he actually wore clothes underneath. "We can't stay here long," I pointed out anxiously.

Axel had a small bag filled with sea salt ice cream. I was almost positive it would melt before he got through it all. "Relax, there's an inn around here we can stay at."

"This is the first town the Organization will look in. You know that, right?" I bit my lip.

"They're too intelligent to think we would actually hide in the most obvious place," Axel snorted, his expression content. Mine was a different story.

"How do you know that they haven't thought that?" I questioned.

A creepy grin crept across the redhead's face. "'Cause I'm taking a gamble."

I pinched the bridge of my nose. This was too much to take in. "Do we have enough munny after your little shopping spree?" I sniffed nervously.

"Of course, babe," Axel replied with a wink.

"...What did you just call me?" I spluttered, my eyes wide.

Axel grinned, a jovial laugh escaping his lips. "Not very fitting, is it?"

"Urgh," I grumbled, my cheeks flushed. "Don't call me that again."

"Okay, babe," Axel chuckled. I shot him an icy glare, but it only seemed to make him laugh harder. "You didn't ask nicely."

I rolled my eyes, my lips pursed. "Fine, plea-"

"Nope, too late now," Axel interjected cheerfully. "Let's go before you have a panic attack."

I dumbly nodded, too shocked to say anything. Axel was a whirlwind when given freedom. Was this the real Axel or just another side of him? He snatched up his bag of ice cream, tugging me along by the hand. I was all too aware of the warmth of his hand, and the way that my cheeks flushed when he called me 'babe'. Of course, I tried my best to ignore it.