The Hollow Bastion Restoration Committee

Chapter 1: The Hollow Bastion Restoration Committee.

Jai's POV:

"I don't know the details of what really happened," Cid began, typing on the computer. "But I do know that our town's seriously messed up."

"It was the Heartless! And those stupid nobodies!" Leon spat furiously, pacing back and forth. I frowned, confused.

"I don't like whoever was responsible for this either, but calling them heartless? Or a nobody? That's just harsh," I chuckled, trying to pretend like the whole incident wasn't a big deal. It was a big deal though, and I knew it. I just didn't want to face that. Aerith sighed, staring at Leon.

"You have to tell her, Leon," she said quietly, her voice as soft as silk.

"If you don't, we will," Yuffie added roughly, pursing her lips. Cid glanced at me, nodding along with Aerith and Yuffie.

"I..." Leon trailed off, biting his lip. "Come on, Jai. We'll go talk about this outside."

I froze, unsure if I really wanted to see the town in ruins just yet. Leon seemed determined to tell me this "secret" though, so I hesitantly followed him outside. I shut the door softly, turning to look at the town. I gasped in shock at what I saw.

Radiant Gardens wasn't radiant anymore. It wasn't even a garden. It was... ruined.

"Hollow Bastion," Leon mumbled, scratching his neck awkwardly. "That's our town now."

Hollow Bastion was in ruins, it was just a total mess. It hurt me to look at it. Suddenly, a figure jumped out from around the corner, slashing his sword left and right at a peculiar looking enemy.

"Cloud!" I exclaimed joyfully. He was okay - Cloud had somehow survived out all alone through this catatrosphe. He glanced at me, and there was a sudden flash of light, which he winced at. I frowned, watching Leon's totally unsurprised reaction. He placed a hand on my shoulder, sighing.

"Leave him," Leon ordered firmly, his eyes locked on the dark, yellow-eyed creatures that Cloud was fighting. I narrowed my eyes, breaking free of Leon's grip and running over to help Cloud. He was surrounded by those shadow things. He couldn't take them on his own! I summoned up my long, silver sword, charging at the dark creatures. Cloud's eyes widened, and he stopped fighting as he realized what I was doing.

"Jai! No!" he screeched desperately. It was too late, though. I yelled out as I slashed through the creature - well, what should've been the creature. It turned out I was just randomly slicing at thin air. I frowned, looking down at my sword. That was weird.

Most people I knew said they had a kind of attachment to their weapon -- like a bond. Me? Not at all. I felt like I was running around waving a wooden sword. I knew this wasn't the right sword for me. I knew, because somehow, I'd had the right one before. I just couldn't remember it. Maybe it was back when I lived... on Destiny Islands?

I snapped out of my thoughts, feeling something under the ground. That's when it all clicked together in my brain. This creature had the ability to turn 2D. It was flat on the ground like paper.

"Jai!" Leon called. "You don't know what you're up against! Come back!"

"I'm not finished," I shouted back, smirking with determination. I glanced at Cloud, who was actually smiling proudly as he slashed through the creatures. I observed his technique. He kind of jumped at his enemies... so they were surprised. When you were attacking them obviously, they defended themselves by disappearing into the ground. But if you waited, and then charged through... My target appeared back above the surface of the ground, waving his little antennas around in the air.