Familiarity

Chapter 3: Familiarity.

Jai's POV:

I could drift away and no one would notice. I could just fade into the darkness, and no one would care. They wouldn't remember me. They'd never even think of me.

"Jai?" a voice called, laced with concern. I kept totally silent, not wanting to be found. I'd avoided everyone for the past few days, going without food, water and proper sleep. It was obviously unhealthy, but so was my anger, and I needed to wait for that to die down.

I knew Leon would come looking for me eventually. I knew that he'd probably looked everywhere but here, because it was common knowledge that when I ran away, I didn't want to be found. I always came down to the cold drains, never anywhere else.

Yuffie and Cloud had come and spoken to me, but it was mainly a one-sided conversation both times. Cloud had tried to explain what Leon meant about his "darkness", but gave up in frustration when I refused to respond. He was trying to worm his way out of a sticky situation, but he was just entangling himself deeper in the web of lies. It wasn't something that Cloud would usually do. He normally faced everything with brutal honesty and strength, and I'd looked up to him for that. I didn't know how I could look up to him anymore.

Yuffie, on the other hand, I'd actually spoken to a little. She wasn't as close to me as the two boys, and I didn't feel as betrayed by the small ninja. She said that Leon was just trying to protect me and look out for me, even if I couldn't see it. I asked one thing. One little question. 'How could they lie to me?'

"Jai, come on!" Leon shouted again, agitation evident in his voice. I kept tight lipped, hugging my knees with all my strength. I felt like I was going to bawl my eyes out any moment. I couldn't handle this.

Leon eventually left, groaning, and I let the tears fall. My quiet sobs echoed through the drains as I held my head in my hands.

"No one understands you, right?" a familiar voice suddenly asked. My head whipped up to meet the crystal, blue eyes of--

"Sora?!"

"No," the person chuckled, sliding down the wall to sit with me. "I'm Roxas, remember?"

"Oh," I mumbled, my cheeks heating up. "Sorry."

"No biggie," Roxas laughed, suddenly pulling out two sea-salt ice creams. He handed one to me, smiling broadly. This was why I liked Roxas. He was always so friendly, and he reminded me so much of my brother.

"How did you get here?" I questioned curiously, quickly devouring my ice cream. I hadn't heard Roxas walk in at all. He scratched his neck uncomfortably, biting his lip.

"I have my ways," he answered, grinning at me again. "Whaddaya say, we ditch this place?"

"To where?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows. Roxas jumped up, grabbing my hand. I was a little unsteady on my feet, seeing as it had been a while since I'd actually stood up.

"It's a surprise. Don't worry, I'll lead you."

I grinned like a child as Roxas led me by the hand out of the drains. I squinted my eyes to adjust to the sunlight while Roxas bought us both more sea salt ice cream.

"I wish there was a beach," I murmured thoughtfully. Roxas squeezed my hand excitedly, his blue eyes twinkling.

"I can take you to one!" he exclaimed. "Just close your eyes."

I did as he said, and kept my eyes firmly shut. I felt Roxas tugging me through something, and suddenly, the smell of salty water invaded my nostrils. How the hell did we get here? I let my eyelids flutter open, taking in the bright sun and the soft sand beneath my feet.

"Wow! Have I... been here before?" I questioned, jumping from foot to foot excitedly. This beach reminded me of a place I used to visit all the time when I was younger. I just couldn't pin point where.

Roxas hurried over to the water, turning to give me a devilish smirk. "Come in the water, Jai! It won't wait forever!"

I grinned, and followed suit by hurrying into the water after him. I didn't care that I was wearing everyday clothes. I had clothes at home... I had to go back there eventually, anyway.

"It's so cold!" I squealed, wading into the water. Roxas grinned, splashing me with some water. I laughed ecstatically, splashing him back. Roxas's blue eyes twinkled in the sunlight, and he looked like he was genuinely enjoying himself. I launched myself onto his back, dunking him down in the water. He resurfaced, pouting at me. He was dripping from head to toe.

"What was that for?" Roxas demanded, a smirk tugging at his lips. I held my hand to my mouth, trying to stifle my laughter.

"I wanted... I wanted to see... your hair!" I giggled, pointing out his no longer spiky hair. Roxas huffed, staring up at the flat, blonde hair on his head, before glaring at me.

"I'll make you pay!" he cried, rushing at me and tackling me into the water. I laughed as Roxas pinned me down in the shallow water with his body. I couldn't help but notice how athletic he was. He smiled warmly, not moving from his position on top of me. Our laughter slowly faded, and Roxas's expression suddenly turned serious.

"You're the only person who's ever made me laugh like this... and actually feel something," he murmured, his blue eyes filled with tears. It was if he was witnessing something beautiful for the first time. His face was slowly moving closer and closer to mine, just inches away from-

"Roxas!" a voice yelled angrily. I snapped out of my trance as the blonde boy hastily climbed off of me. "What the hell do you think you're doing?"

I quickly clambered to my feet, meeting the cold, green eyes of Axel. I smiled at him in greeting, getting only a glare back. Roxas scratched his neck, glancing at me uncomfortably.

"I-I don't know... I'm sorry," he stuttered. Axel situated himself on the branch of a tree, crossing his arms. I crouched down, sifting some of the golden sand through my fingers. I'd definitely been here before... I knew it.

"You're an idiot for bringing her here, of all places!" Axel growled, pointing towards me. "Don't do it again - got it memorized?"

Roxas nodded vigorously, biting his lip. I furrowed my brows, tucking a strand of my mauve hair behind my ear.

"I asked him to," I cut in, defending Roxas. I felt a strong loyalty to him that I couldn't explain, and I'm sure he felt the same way. I couldn't tell what kind of loyalty it was. It was all so confusing to me.

"Don't defend him. He's in trouble," Axel sneered scornfully, rolling his eyes at me. "Roxas, RTC, I'll take Jai home."

My eyes widened, and I raised my hand to slap Axel. He caught my wrist halfway, glaring at me. He shook his head, pulling me along gently, instead of harshly as I thought he would. He handled me like I was fragile. I glanced back at Roxas, who was smiling sadly and waving at me. I waved back, when Axel's voice cut into my trance once again.

"Close your eyes," he ordered gruffly. I did as I was told, and once again, found myself back in the town of Hollow Bastion.

"How do you guys do that?" I questioned, baffled. Axel smirked slightly, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"Don't worry about that for now. Go home, Jai -- to your actual home, not the freaking drains," he snorted, a kind vibe coming from him. It was unexpected, seeing as he'd just reacted horribly before.

"Okay," I agreed, smiling weakly. Axel leaned down, enveloping me in a quick, warm hug. My eyes widened, and I slowly hugged him back.

"Good luck, kid."

I watched Axel walk away, still stunned by his sudden hug. Maybe he was actually a good person? Hugging him honestly felt nice... I took a deep breath, preparing myself to go back home. But where was home anymore? I couldn't tell. My heart was one place, my soul was another, and my body was in Hollow Bastion. I shook my head, trying to rid the thoughts from my mind. I had to go to my home with Leon and the others. That was my home.