Betrayal Isn't Sweet

Chapter 16: Betrayal Isn't Sweet.

Jai's POV:

"Did you defeat any Heartless?" Xigbar questioned, his face expressionless. Upon Saïx's death, Xigbar had become Xemnas' right hand man, and interrogated us about our missions as soon as we returned to the castle.

"Yes, sir," I responded obediently. "A total of 206 today."

"Well done," Xigbar praised me, unable to hide the pride in his voice. Xigbar was becoming more and more of a mentor to me everyday. Each little bit of praise from him made me feel that I was doing a good job.

I strolled through the quiet halls, eventually coming to a stop in front of a certain door. I raised my hand to knock, but decided against it mid air. Soft music was coming from inside -- the melody was so sweet that I couldn't bring myself to disturb it.

Suddenly, the tune came to an abrupt stop. "I know you're out there," the room's occupant called out irritably. "Just come in."

I did as I was told and swung open the door. Demyx sat cross legged on his bed, sitar held protectively in his lap.

A relieved smile tugged at his lips. "Oh, it's just you, Jai."

"Sorry, I didn't mean to disturb you," I nervously apologised. Demyx beckoned me over, patting the spot next to him on his white, single bed.

"Don't be silly," he snickered with the good nature I'd begun to associate him with. "My door is always open for my bestie. Just don't scare me at night, okay?"

"Deal." I couldn't help but laugh. From the spot beside him, I tentatively reached out to brush my fingertips along the neck of the blue sitar. Demyx jerked the sitar from my touch.

"S-sorry," he hastily murmured, almost shoving the sitar into my lap. "You can touch it."

I gave him a little smile, the heavy weight of the instrument resting on my legs. "Actually, could you play me a song?" Demyx's eyes widened, and he almost refused. "Please?"

Doing my best to sway his emotions, I gently handed the sitar back to him. He didn't hesitate before strumming the melody I'd heard earlier. It made me happy to no end knowing that my power came in handy during times like these. My body was weighed down with exhaustion, presumably from the constant fighting, and the only way I could think of to relieve myself of that had been Demyx.

Although his antics were incredibly tiring (like the time I walked around the corner and he dropped a waterfall on me), his face popped into my mind right away. He was the only crazy one around here I enjoyed talking to. So what if I had to influence his emotions?

"Can you sing?" Demyx suddenly questioned. I held a hand to my mouth.

"If the sound of dying cats is considered singing," I mumbled. Demyx couldn't resist grinning.

"So there are things even you can't do!" he laughed amicably. I shoved his shoulder, unable to hide the slightly sour expression on my face.

"Just play your stupid song."

Demyx did as told, and once again started playing his sitar. I closed my eyes, taking deep breaths. His song was so beautiful that I almost drifted to sleep on countless occassions. The blonde boy was surprisingly docile today, as if he were tired too. He didn't let it affect his playing, which was still the most wonderful thing I had ever heard.

"I'm sorry," Demyx whispered, almost to himself. I opened one eye, but he was completely absorbed in his playing. O...kay.

Without a moment's hesitation, Demyx's door was swung open, revealing a furious redhead. Demyx barely looked up, still playing the melody. I was confused.