30: Fireworks

Chapter 30: Fireworks

"What? You Did?"

"Yes. And why don't you sound too surprised?" She asked frustratingly taking a sit beside me, quirking an eyebrow at me.

"Because it looked like you guys had something going on".

"No we didn't. We just used to flirt here and there", she sighed,"Grace I am not ready for this. My last relationship didn't go that great".

"Tell me something... Do you like him?"

"Yeah I do. I always had a crush on him", she was blushing.

"Then don't let your past ruin your future. If this turns into something good then let it be. But first- talk to him. Don't just avoid him just because you slept with him".

"How did you know I was avoiding him?" she asked a little shocked by this. "He doesn't want this to be just a one night stand", she said.

"I know you too well Sophie. So what are you waiting for? Go and tell him what you want. That boy deserves a chance", I mused.

She nodded her head, smiling at me. "Grace you are the best!" she hugged me. "So I was wondering if your best friend position was vacant or not. Since I am interested to take up that position".

I laughed, "We are not in middle school anymore Soph. Just because we stopped talking that didn't stop you from being my best friend. You will always be my best friend".

"Does that mean I am hired?"

"Let me think about that...", I pretended to think about it by tapping my chin. She playfully threw a pillow at me.

............

"Why are you acting all sneaky today?" I asked Max who was ignoring me the whole day, and not only him. Even Audrey was being all furtive today.

"Nothing. Just be at the roof at 7 pm today. You will see".

"Ugghhh why is everyone telling me to do that? Audrey told me the same too", I tried to bribe her with cake but that didn't even work on her.

Max kissed me on the lips,"You will see. Just be there".

...........

I climbed up the stairs exactly at 7. I bet Audrey was up there since she was nowhere to be found at home.

Our rooftop was boring. There were some broken bricks which were left from the construction of the house which the landlord didn't bother to remove. But it wasn't like it was before. The roof was decorated with fairy lights. There were two deck chairs on the roof right in the middle of it and a picnic basket beside it. It was perfect.

"Surprise!" I went up to him, hugging him.

"Oh my god! I love this", I kissed him. He kissed me back, making my knees weak.

"Sit here", I complied, taking a seat on one of the deck chairs. Max brought a tray bearing two drinks, "Peppermint iced tea just how you like it", he said handing me the sweaty glass.

I took a sip of it, that was refreshing. "This is good! Did you make it?"

"Mhmm. Audrey helped".

"By the way where is Audrey?"

"She went to Jeremy's after she was done helping me set this up. You have the cutest sister".

"I know, she is the best", I took a look at the watch,"Ugghhh I have a quiz tomorrow and I forgot!"

"Don't worry this won't take much time. But can I ask you something Grace?"

"Ask away".

"Why are you attending college when you are not interested in it? I mean I think you would be better off  doing something else".