31: Audrey

Chapter 31: Audrey

I raised my hands in a gesture to surrender. My first thought was to make sure Audrey was safe, I looked around the room but I didn't see her anywhere. Then I noticed her hiding behind an old broken mirror. She was shivering in fear, clutching her mouth. I signalled her to keep quiet. She nodded.

"Joe", that's all I could say since my mouth went dry, I couldn't get any words out of my mouth.

"You got to know my little secret", Joe said approaching me still holding me at gunpoint. "I am pretty sure your sister helped you get in", he turned around," where is she?"

I prayed that he wouldn't find Audrey,  I finally spoke up,"She is- she escaped".

"I will deal with her later. I will kill the elder sister first and then I will go after the younger one", he said giving me a dreadful smile. I felt a wrench in my heart, I will not let him harm Audrey.

"Why are you doing this? If you are keeping him alive then why is he a ghost?" I cried out moving forward.

"If you make another move I will shoot you", he threatened coming close to me. I was shivering in fear so I tried to be as still as possible, he grabbed me by my wrist and pulled me closer to him, pointing the gun to my head," Don't you try anything fishy", he whispered. "Give me your phone". He took the phone out of my pocket and threw it on the floor shattering it into pieces. He then released me but making sure to keep the gun pointed at me.

"What will you get out of this?" I asked. I noticed Audrey wasn't behind the mirror anymore. I was hoping she escaped.

"My father hated me. He treated me differently cause I was a medium. I would be too busy communicating with ghosts so I would always be alone. I didn't spend much time with my family. They didn't understand me. They wanted me to be a normal boy but I wasn't normal. I couldn't be normal. My dad always told me to look up to my brother who was perfect. He was good at everything, I was just a weird kid everyone used to hate. As I grew up the ghosts became demanding they got to know about my powers of bringing people back to life so they would always blackmail me into bringing them alive. But I never performed any such spell as bringing people back to life meant ruining the balance of nature. I started hating my life as a medium. I was depressed I didn't communicate with any people for months or even years...... Then I realized..... A medium had one chance in his life to bring back a person alive.. And if I did I could bring myself back to life and transfer my soul to another body. And then I could restart my life as a normal person..... And so I went  on to my mission to get my life back", he loaded the gun by pulling the slide. I hopelessly looked at Max' s lifeless body, it was pale and so still. I silently bid him and Audrey goodbye. I hope Audrey wasn't around. She is still a kid. She won't be able to handle this.

"My dad left all his property under my brother's name. He just pretended I didn't exist. So I decided to kill off my brother and his family so by law I could get the property. Ten years ago I knew my brother came to visit Max as I would keep an eye on them. In fact I was the one who put out the fire. I killed my brother and his family. But I didn't realize I couldn't kill Max as he was out. He caught me in the act and so I stabbed him in his neck. By the time I had to discard his body the police was already here. I didn't want to leave any traces so I took him with me. He was unconscious but he wasn't dead yet. I was about to stab him to end his life then I realized I could be taking over his body and live longer. So all this time I kept his soul separated from his body as a reason he has been in coma all these years. I am waiting for the comet, that day I can transfer my soul to Max' s body and start my life as a normal human being", I stared at him equal  shock and disgust. This man was capable of doing anything to get his own way. I helplessly looked around, looking for a way to save myself but I couldn't find anything. I was hopeless. I was praying Audrey was out of this place,"After I kill you I will kill Mia and her family. In that way I won't have to share the money with anyone. And also of course your sister", he laughed in a sinister way. I can't let him do that. I can't let him kill anymore people. Grace think. Do something!

"You are a horrible person!" I cried out,"I can't believe you killed your own brother and his whole family".

"Those people didn't care about me when I was alone and scared. Why would I care about them anymore?! All my life they made me feel worthless".

"Please don't hurt my sister", a small timid voice said from behind me. I froze to my place. It can't be. Oh Audrey why did you come back?

Joe immediately turned around. His face lit up when he saw Audrey there, holding a butter knife at him,"Are you planning to save your sister like this?" He laughed. "You know I can't handle this drama. I am going to kill the younger sister first", he pointed the gun at Audrey.

"Please no", I said softly. I lurched forward, then I heard the sound of the gun go off.

................

I thought I wasn't going to continue writing this book but I had to since a lot of people were requesting me to continue it. Thank you for all the support!