Prologue

I am currently working with a publishing firm to have In The Shadows published as a brand new book with new chapters and twists, so stay tuned! This is just a rough copy, when it is published it will be different :)

It was a cold, wet and windy night when it all started.

*4 hours earlier*

I was just about to finish my shift at the diner where I work, Claire's Diner.

"Hey Fawn, I'm heading out now!" I called to my co worker for this shift. Fawn is my best friend. We tell each other everything. We always have each other's backs; when my purse was stolen, Fawn kept her cool and went after the guy who had taken it. When Fawn crashed her car, I was the only one there for her. When I was attacked by vampires, Fawn had my back. Oh yeah, I forgot to say. My world is infested with vampires.

They control everything we do. We try to ignore them, pretend everything's all right for the kiddies, but when we're alone, we cry ourselves to sleep because we are so scared. Every goodbye you say to someone could be the last. The kids eventually find out, but we try to keep it from them as long as possible. But the look of confusement on their faces when they are finally told, then the look of amusement, thinking we're just kidding. And then the look of horror when they realize we're not joking. It's awful. But there's nothing we can do about the vamps at all. Nothing.

"What? No no, can't you wait until my shift's up? I can drive you home!" Fawn yelped, scurrying from behind the counter. I shook my head at her. "Fawn, I'll be fine. My house isn't that far, and I've got my silver with me." I said, throwing the towel I was using to clean some tabletops with over my shoulder, and pulled my apron off, hanging it up. "Natalie, there's no way I'm letting you walk out that door!! It's nearly eleven!" Fawn said frantically. "Fawn, I can look after myself. I'm nearly eighteen!" I said, sighing in impatience. Fawn shook her head, frowning. "Fawn! I need help with these orders!" Our cook, Nathan yelled. He stuck his head out of the doorway, and I saw a flash of his silver earrings. He had a LOT of tattoos, dyed black hair, a lip piercing, a nose piercing and black eye makeup. He was heavy Goth. I grinned and mouthed a thank you at him, but he frowned at me. Oh. He had no idea what he'd intervened in. Oh well. "See ya later Fawn!" I yelled before hurrying out of the diner.

I shivered and pulled my coat tighter around me. I heard thunder crack, and jumped.

You're being paranoid. Knock it off. Vamps can smell fear. It's like ringing a dinner bell! I thought to myself, and immediately wished I hadn't.

I heard the thunder again and the stormy grey clouds opened and it started pouring down. I cursed under my breath at forgetting my umbrella. I didn't have a hood on my coat, so I hunched myself up and walked faster. I saw an alley and slowed down for a second, and then quickly walked towards it. It was sheltered from the rain, but it was really dark inside. I quickly made up my mind as the thunder boomed again, and hurried towards the alley. I sighed in relief as the rain stopped pouring on my head and soaking me.

I pushed my hands deep inside my pocket and started walking down the alley. I tried not to think about anything scary, but a few thoughts slipped past my guard. My blood froze as I heard footsteps following me. I walked faster, trying to calm my heartbeat down from its racing. The footsteps picked up speed to match mine. Tears stung my eyes. I was so stupid to have come down the alley! My now dead parents raised me better than that! I started to run, but I stopped short when a tall, dark shadow stepped out in my path. I skidded to a stop, the hairs on my arms and on the back of my neck rising. The silhouette stalked closer, and I backed away, feeling tears fall down my cheeks. There was another flash of lightning, and I saw a flash of his face. Dark circles around blood red eyes, pale skin, full, pale lips, brown hair styled in a quiff, and a strongly built body. When the light subsided, he was no longer there. I quickly turned around, hearing a whisper behind me, and screamed when a strong, pale and cold hand reached out, grabbing me by the throat and slamming me against the brick wall. I should've let Fawn drive me home! I should have waited! I'm so stupid! I gasped for breath as the hand tightened. The man stepped out if the shadows, and I saw it was the same man who I had just seen. The vampire.