Chapter 22: Demands

SOC is I'm Not Alone by Calvin Harris

~Rebecca~

************************************

It was the scream that woke me. It was a high pitched, female scream, and it was full of terror. I shot up and the bed creaked as Justin sat up and stood in one fluid motion, already heading for the door.

"Wait!" I called after him, scrambling out of bed and pulling on a pair of black cotton shorts before tearing after him. He was already at the end of the hall and waited for me, his eyes narrowed and red.

Wordlessly he picked me up and vaulted the railing. I pressed my face into his shirtless chest and in a few seconds he quickly put me down and raced into the living room. I followed close behind and skidded to a stop when I saw the scene. Eve was kneeling in the middle of the room, Michael's head in her lap. His skin was paler than normal for a vampire, and his face was covered in blood. There were bite marks in his neck.

Eve was sobbing, her hands stroking his face as Claire and Shane ran in. Claire didn't see me and smacked into me. I shrieked in surprise and pain as we crashed to the ground.

"Aye, get off!" I protested as Claire head butted me accidentally.

"Sorry, sorry!" she said, scrambling up and offering me her hand. I took it and she pulled me up. We went to stand beside Justin, and his hand subconsciously went to my hip, his thumb stroking the exposed skin gently. He was staring at Michael, his eyes surprised.

"Eve, what happened?" he asked, letting go of me and dropping to his knees next to the young vampire. Claire had told me the other day he had been turned only two years ago.

"I don't know! I came down to get a drink and I saw him in the living room!" she choked out, and Justin tilted Michael's head to get a better look at the bites. He frowned, then stiffened.

"Claire, call Amelie. Now!" He said, and I could hear an undertone of fear in his voice. If a vampire was scared, then that was reason for a full out panic. Claire nodded and quickly dialled a number on the house phone, pacing as she pressed it against her ear.

"Pick up, pick up, pick up!" She repeated quietly, then stopped pacing. "Amelie? We need your help. Michael has been bitten, Justin told me to call you, and-" She stopped and listened. "Okay," She said, and hung up. "She's on her way," She told Justin. He gave no indication he heard her, instead he put pressure on Michael's wounds and growled in frustration.

"Natalie, give me your knife." He said. I frowned. "Why?"

"Just do it!" He shouted, and we all jumped. I took the steps three at a time, running into my room and pulling the knife from my jeans pocket. I quickly went back down the hall and stairs and handed the knife to Justin. He sighed and quickly sliced his wrist. I shrieked and tried grabbing his wrist, but he jerked away, pressing his wrist to Michael's mouth. He latched immediately, and Justin pulled away after a few minutes. Still Michael didn't open his eyes. I came forward again and placed a hand onto Justin's shoulder. He had his eyes closed as he healed, and they snapped open to reveal his crimson eyes. My eyes widened and my breath hitched, but I didn't back away.

"Natalie, go check of there are any blood bags or bottles in the fridge, and hurry," he said, and I scurried into the kitchen, yanking open the fridge. I stared into it. "Oh, crap." I whispered. It was empty of any blood.

I walked back into the living room, and Justin stared at me, his eyes hungry. I could just see his sharp fangs resting on his full lower lip. "There are none," I said quietly, coming to a stop in front of him. He closed his eyes. I took in a shaky breath and pressed my wrist against his mouth. His eyes snapped open and he stared at me, shocked. He took my wrist in his big hands and he pulled me down to straddle his lap. He got down from his knees and crossed them instead, seating me in the gap between his crotch and his shins. My legs were on either side of his waist, and he cupped my cheek in his hand.