Chapter 17 : Bad News

Tahimik lang akong nagdadrive habang wala nang malay si Hortem at nasa backseat naman sina Cliff at Naia.

"You guys are so stubborn." Her sharp gaze landed on me through the rear mirror and I had no choice but to avoid it. "I told you to contact me first before doing anything yet you chose to move without precaution."

She pulled the pendant on her necklace and it immediately transformed into her laptop. Pinakiramdaman ko siya at nagkatinginan kami ni Cliff dahil hindi namin inaasahan na pupunta rito si Naia. After all, she couldn't fight at her fullest anymore.

"So, both Jett and you stained her car with blood, huh?" she said to Cliff while running her fingers through the back seat.

"Yeah. You know, it's that time of the month," I jokingly said to ease the tension inside the car and I was successful since I saw Naia's lips twitched. On the other hand, Cliff looked at me as if I just said something stupid.

"Not funny," mahina niyang sabi at napangiti na lang ako dahil sa itsura niya.

"Quite funny," Naia butted in and Cliff gave him a disapproving look.

'Where is Jett when I need him the most?' he complained.

At least, the tension was gone and we were back to our old selves. Naia continued typing her report of what had happened while using her animus. She touched the window and looked at Cliff.

"Well, that was a nasty fall," sabi niya at napatingin siya sa sugat na nakuha ni Cliff nang tumalon siya papunta sa kotse kanina.

Even though we've been living and working together for several years, I am still amazed every time she uses her animus. With just a simple touch, she'd know the history of an inanimate thing. That was also one of the reasons why she chose to be our Keeper. According to her, she was tracking the killer of someone she treasured. Hindi ko alam kung sino at wala rin akong balak pilitin siyang sabihin pero alam kong iyon ang dahilan kung bakit hindi niya magamit ang kakayahan niya nang maayos.

"Where's Jett, by the way?" tanong niya.

"He escorted Kiyoko to the Senshin's base," sagot ni Cliff habang nilalagyan ng gauze ang sugat niya sa binti at braso.

"Tantei High?"

"Yeah. We can't accommodate those Blacks anymore so she suggested bringing them to Shima."

Pagkasabi ko no'n ay napatigil sa pagta-type si Naia. The look on her face was the same as mine when I heard that word from Kiyoko the first time but somehow, her eyes radiated an immense emotion. I felt rage and despair at the same time.

"Shima?"

"Uh-huh. She revealed that its guardians are originally Senshins."

"And the location?"

"She didn't say anything about it. I guess it's still confidential."

Pinagpatuloy ko lang ang pagda-drive at halos pasikat na ang araw. Napatingin ako kay Hortem at hanggang ngayon ay wala pa rin siyang malay. Well, after seeing those unimaginable situations, I guess his brain couldn't comprehend what he had seen and just like other humdrums, they would rather think of it as some kind of hallucination instead of truth.

I called Nigel and told him to send us a map of his current location. Naia projected the map on the windshield and I followed the track. After about thirty to forty minutes, we reached the border of the city and saw an old, abandoned apartment. I parked the car few meters away from it and reverted it back to its miniature model. Cliff managed to carry Hortem on his shoulder, even though he was injured, while Naia and I led the way.