Chapter 34 : Scarred

"Finally, Lace

"Finally, Lace."

Hearing my Mom's name triggered some painful memories but I tried hard to push them all at the back of my head. I wanted to focus on the owner of that muffled voice but I couldn't remember who it was.

His red eyes glimmered like ruby stones in the dark. I almost cursed when I remembered my own eyes but I realized I wore my contact lenses before coming here. That was a good thing.

I wanted to see him closer but I also wanted to run away. Pitch, who was still hiding with me, carefully drew his sword.

"What are you doing?" I mouthed.

"Gonna assess his skill," he whispered and before I could even say he'd just get himself killed, he already lurched to his direction.

Fighting in total darkness has always been my weakness but Pitch seemed to be not bothered by it at all. I could only see the faint glow of his sword and I was impressed by how eerily silent his movements were.

"I know you two are there," the guy suddenly announced and I, for a moment, stopped breathing.

I was still assessing what to do when Pitch decided to confront him. The next thing I knew, someone was knocked to the floor with a thud. My heart raced painfully thinking that I'd be his next target but something strange happened. Although it was faint, I felt another presence.

"Pardon him for his rudeness."

The huge living room came into view as all the lights were simultaneously turned on. Standing in the middle of the room was the zuerst in his black suit, facing the other side. In front of him, Pitch was lying on the floor and his right arm was in an awkward angle.

"Good decision, humdrum," the guy said. "Had you not shown yourself to me, your head would've been rolling down that staircase before you could even move a muscle."

Napunta ang tingin ko kay Ebony na ngayon ay pababa mula sa hagdanan. It seemed like my hiding place was a blind spot from their current positions and that was a huge relief.

Ebony remained smiling even after that threatening statement but I knew that he was, at least, shaken because his shoulders were tensed.

"Sorry for my insolence, Sir . . ."

"Onyx," pakilala niya at para akong nabuhusan ng malamig na tubig nang marinig ko 'yon.

"Sir Onyx."

My body trembled as his name resounded in my head. It felt like I was reading Nigel's journal again. Onyx . . . that guy was the Black they to track in Japan and the reason for their disappearance. He might know . . . no, he should know what happened that day.

I immediately felt the nausea when he turned around. His face was covered with scars and his red eyes made it more intimidating. He looked familiar but I couldn't remember who he was. Maybe I just saw him once or when I was a kid since he seemed to know my mother.