Chapter 21

"So, what is your plan for today?" Grace asks Daniel and I.

"I don't know, just spending the day together. Don't know what we'll do just yet," Daniel says and I nod.

"Any suggestions?" I ask Grace, who thinks for a couple of minutes.

"Oeh, I know something!" she then says with a huge smile on her face.

"I can't believe we didn't think of this," Daniel says as he parks his car in the parking lot of the indoor karting circuit.

"I know, it makes so much sense," I chuckle before both of us get out of the car. Before Daniel left, we used to go karting all the time. It used to be our favorite thing to do.

"You know I'm going to kick your ass, right?"

"Keep dreaming Ricciardo," I say as we walk inside.

"Hello, how can I help you two?" the receptionist asks us with a smile.

"We would like to drive some laps," Daniel says with a grin on his face.

"Okay, how many races would you like to do?"

"Best out of 3?" Daniel asks me.

"Sounds good to me," I say with smile.

"Okay, 3 races," Daniel tells the receptionist, who nods and starts typing something in her computer.

"Okay, how would you like to pay?" the receptionist asks and Daniel holds up his credit card. After he pays, the receptionist hands us a note with a number on it, which tells us when it's our turn.

"Okay, you have to wait for a little while, but then it's your turn," she tells us.

"Okay, thank you," Daniel says and the both of us walk to the viewing area to wait for our turn.

"How long has it been since you've gone karting?"

"It has actually been a while. What about you?"

"Actually, I just did it last week."

"Really?" Daniel asks surprised, sounding kind of shocked.

"Nope, it's been at least a few years."

"Oh good," Daniel sighs in relief.

"What, why?"

"Otherwise you might have beaten me."

"What, you're saying I can't beat you now?"

"No way, you can't win from me, not when it comes to racing."

"Guess we'll see."

"Yeah, just get ready to lose."

"You're so nice," I say sarcastically, but both of us are laughing. Then our number appears on the screen, letting us know it's our turn. We go to get ready and soon enough both of us are sitting on our karts.

"How many laps?" Daniel asks me.

"10?"

"Alright, sounds good," Daniel says, sounding a bit surprised by my choice. I look at the lights intensely and when the lights go out, I press the gas pedal down to the floor. All of the 10 laps are intense, but I manage to beat Daniel in the end.

"How did you do that?" Daniel asks as we line up at the start line again.

"I'm just that good."

"No, it was luck. We'll see how the next race goes," Daniel says, making me shake my head.

"Let's do this," I say and I focus on the lights once again. Once they go out, I press the gas pedal down again, but Daniel is away faster and he stays in front of me the entire race, though I'm close the entire time

"Ah, I won!" Daniel exclaims excitingly.

"We're doing best of 3 though, so we're not done yet."

"Okay, let's do this then," Daniel says as we drive up to the start line for the final time.

"Get ready to lose."

"Not likely," Daniel says and just then the lights go out. Daniel didn't notice whilst I did, resulting in me being in the lead.

"That wasn't fair!" Daniel calls out, making me laugh as I keep going around the track. Daniel catches up to me and for the last few laps, he's right behind me.

"Hey Vi!" he calls out.

"Yeah?"

"Look over there!"

"Not gonna work!"

"Look, a sexy guy!"

"Nice try Dan!"

"He's right behind you, look!"

"You're not that sexy Dan!" I call back. Total lie, he is very sexy. But I'm not telling him that.

"Liar!" Daniel replies as we go into the final lap. It's all or nothing. I have to win this to prove Daniel I'm a better kart driver than he is. And so I can keep teasing him about it for years to come. All through the final lap, Daniel is on my tail and I have trouble keeping him behind me.

"YES!!" I call out as I finish the finish line first. I won.

"I can't believe it," Daniel says, seemingly more to himself than to me.

"I beat you!"

"You did, great job! You still remember all the things I taught you."

"You thought me? No, no, no, you hardly taught me anything!" I say as I gasp, making Daniel laugh. We drive our karts back to the beginning before getting out.

"So, I was thinking. How does an ice cream sound to you?" Daniel asks as we walk out of the building.

"I think that sounds perfect."

"Great, let's go then," Daniel says as we walk to his car. Both of us get in and Daniel starts driving to our favorite ice-cream place.

"I can't wait to tell your friends I beat you today," I say with a grin on my face.

"I'm never gonna hear the end of this, am I?"

"Not likely."

"Great. Just don't tell the other drivers, then I'll never ever hear the end of this."

"Oeh, you just gave me a great idea."

"Oh seriously?"

"Yup, hadn't even thought of that yet."

"Crap," Daniel says, making me laugh. He parks his car near the ice cream shop and both of us get out.

"I can already see the headline. 'F1 star gets beaten by his best friend.' The fans are gonna love it."

"Best friend?" Daniel asks and I can hear the surprise in his voice.

"Yeah, something wrong with that?" I ask a little worried. I haven't actually called him that to his face since we reconnected.

"No, no, not at all. It's just been a while since you called me that and I didn't know if I still was your best friend."

"Well, you are," I say, making Daniel smile.

"Good, because you're mine as well."

"We need to celebrate, let's get the most delicious ice cream they have," I suggest, making Daniel grin.

"Screw my diet for today," he says, making me remember the little fact I forgot about today. He is a Formula 1 driver. He has to watch what he eats, even when the season hasn't even begun yet. But it will begin soon and he has to leave tomorrow because of that.

I don't know anything about karting, so I hope this chapter made any sense hahahaa Just remember it's about Daniel and Violet and not really about the karting :D

Okay so what did you think of this one? Did you like it? How do you feel about Daniel leaving? Let me know in the comments below! Also, let me know what you want to happen in the next chapters!! And don't forget to vote!

Love you all :)

Evy
Instagram: @readracewrite