Chapter 25

3 weeks later

"Violet? Can you come to my office for a minute?" I hear Dylan call out. I get up from my desk and make my way over to Dylan's office.

"What is it?" I ask as I close the door behind me.

"You interviewed Daniel Ricciardo last time, right?"

"Yeah I did, why?"

"The big boss wants to have another interview with him as the Formula 1 season begins in Australia."

"Okay. What does that have to do with me?"

"I was wondering if you wanted to do it."

"Yeah, of course!"

"Great! He'll be coming back to Australia in a few days, but I know you're friends with him so I'll let you two figure out a time to do the interview. Just make sure it's finished before the deadline."

"Yeah, we should be able to do that," I say, trying to hide my smile. Dylan doesn't need to know how happy this job assignment makes me. Never let Dylan know that you're happy about the assignment he gave you because he'll give you more work.

"Great, that was all," Dylan tells me and I nod before walking out of Dylan's office. I walk past Joelle's desk. Joelle briefly looks up at me before looking back on her screen. Ever since our argument last month, things have been awkward between us and I don't know how to fix it as our views on the situation haven't changed.

"Hey Dan," I greet Daniel after he picks up the phone. I decided it's best to tell him the news over the phone, which is why I'm calling him right now.

"Violet?" Daniel replies with a sleepy voice. Crap, stupid time differences.

"Oh my gosh, I'm sorry Daniel! I totally forgot it's the middle of the night for you!"

"It's okay, why did you call?"

"No, no, don't worry about it, go back to sleep."

"Vi, I'm already awake, you might as well tell me," Daniel says and I sigh, knowing he's right.

"Okay, well I have some great news," I start off.

"I hope so, because if you woke me up because you discovered a new amazing tasting tea, I'm gonna kill you next time I see you."

"Don't worry, it's not that."

"So what is it?"

"Dylan just told me that I get to interview you again!"

"What?"

"When you're back in Australia, I get to interview you again before the GP!"

"That's great?" Daniel says, not sounding too sure.

"It is!"

"Okay, it is. Did you really have to wake me up for this?"

"I forgot about the time differences, I'm sorry. But isn't it cool I get to interview you again? It's like the time we reconnected!"

"Yeah, I guess so."

"Please, don't be too enthusiastic."

"I'm sorry Vi, I've just had a rough day with training, that's all."

"I'm sorry Dan, I didn't know."

"You couldn't know, it's okay. Hearing your voice makes me feel better. I should've called before going to bed, would've made me feel a lot better and I probably would've slept earlier."

"Is everything okay?" I ask, worried about how he's doing out there.

"I'm okay, don't worry. It's just been tough, that's all."

"Don't kill yourself out there," I softly whisper, only slightly joking. Daniel told me how tough the training is before the season starts and it's not something that should be taken lightly.

"I won't, I promise. Don't worry about me."

"How can I not? You're my best friend Dan, I worry about you no matter what!"

"Fair enough. I'm gonna go back to sleep now though, now that I've heard your voice, I'll sleep like a baby."

"Okay, good night Dan."

"Good night Vi, see you soon," Daniel says before hanging up. I sigh, knowing that even though we'll see each other soon, it'll feel like an eternity because of how much I miss him.

"Can you stop pacing around?" Joelle asks as she looks up from her laptop.

"Sorry, I'm nervous," I say, actually surprised she said something.

"Can you be nervous somewhere else? I'm trying to work."

"Look, I don't know why you're acting this way, if it's stress or something else. but don't take it out on me. I have enough on my mind as it is," I say and Joelle gets up from her chair and walks over to me.

"You don't know why I'm acting this way? We had a huge argument and you don't know why I'm acting this way?"

"That argument made no sense."

"Maybe it didn't, that doesn't mean I can just get over it."

"It's been a month."

"I know, but still," Joelle sighs and I suddenly realize we've both been suffering from this argument more than we'd like to admit.

"Jo, I'm sorry. This all got way out of hand and we should've talked about it right way."

"I know, we should have. And I'm sorry too, I had no right to say that you and Daniel don't have a chance together. If both of you want it, I know you two can make it."

"Thank you, that means a lot."

"Are we good now?" Joelle asks and I nod.

"We're good," I say before giving her a quick hug.

"Great! But seriously, stop pacing," Joelle says, making me chuckle.

"I'm sorry, I'm just nervous about Daniel coming home."

"When are you seeing him?"

"He's going by his parents first. We're meeting later for a drink."

"Sounds nice!"

"Yeah, let's hope so," I sigh, scared about how I will react to actually seeing him again. I know I'll be happy and relieved, but the thing I'm worried about is my feelings. More specifically, my romantic feelings for Daniel. Since I last saw him, actually saw him, things have changed. I'm no longer with Aron and my feelings towards Daniel have become more intense.

"Well, you have a few more hours to get ready."

"Yeah, I'm trying, though I have no idea how to prepare for this."

"You'll be fine Vi, it's Daniel, you've known him for years."

"But things are different now."

"Still, you two have something special, nothing can change that."

"Let's hope so," I sigh, just as the doorbell rings.

"Are you expecting anyone?" Joelle asks as she starts walking to the front door.

"No, you?"

"Me neither," Joelle says before she opens the door.

"Hey," I hear a familiar voice say, making me freeze. It can't be him, not already. I'm not ready to see him, not yet.

"Vi, there's someone here to see you," Joelle says before stepping aside. I look up and look straight into the brown eyes I love seeing the most.

"Daniel, hey."

He's back! How will Violet react? What will happen between Violet and Daniel? What do you want to happen? Let me know all your thoughts in the comments! Also, don't forget to vote for this chapter!

Love you all

Evy
Instagram: readracewrite