Chapter 20; Not Even a Goodbye

Chelsea's POV

I wake up but i'm still surrounded by darkness. It feels like my mind is awake, but my body isn't. I can't move, I can't see, I don't even think I'm breathing on my own.

What happened? Where am I? Am I dead? Where's Michael? Where's Michael?

All I can think about is Michael. Who cares about me. I need to know that he's okay. I try to call to him but the words refuse to escape my lips.

I hear a door open and then close.

Michael?

"Hey sweetie" I hear a soft feminine voice say to me. "I'm your nurse. I don't know if you can hear me, but your heart rate is speeding up, so I need you to relax. Michael is okay. He's in the room next to yours." The sweet lady says as she softly caresses my hand.

I try to mumble a response, a question, anything, but nothing comes out.

"You will be okay." She says again as she leaves.

I don't want to be alone.

Michael's POV

I wake up to the smell of a hospital. You know, the very distinct smell of death and medicine?

I open my eyes slowly to a small, bland, and dim room. The tv is on quietly, and I hear small beeps coming from the very few machines I'm hooked up to. I move my arms and legs, and I take a deep breath.

How did I get out of that accident alive?

Alive.

Chelsea.

"Oh my god" I gasp.

As I try to scramble out of bed, the machine that monitors my heart rate starts to beep obnoxiously. Then suddenly, 2 nurses burst into the room and put their hands on my chest to calm me down.

"Sir, please calm down. Please calm down and let us tell you what is going on with your friend"

"She's not my friend, she's my girlfriend and I love her and need to see her now" I say as I push forward more.

"Michael, we need you to stop to see if you're stabilized enough to walk about" another male nurse says as he walks in and checks the machines.

"If I'm strong enough to push two of your nurses away from me, I'm strong enough to walk to the next room" I grumble.

With that, I take the clippy thing off of my finger, and yank the IV out of my arm. I stand up, feeling an abnormal breeze on my white ass from the stupid hospital gown.

"Michael-"

"Where is she?" I grumble.

"Michael if you'll let us please explain to you what is going on- she's in a bad state right now, and should not be startled. Plus it will be a shock to you"
A short stubby female nurse explains. I stare down at her stout figure and short brown bob.

I turn to my left and see a small mirror.

"All I got out of this was a fucking cut on my eyebrow?" I mumble.

She must be okay then... it was a semi, I would have gotten hurt badly as well... she'll be injured, but not gone. No, not gone.

"Why do you need to tell me what kind of state she's in if she's going to be okay?" I ask.

"Well sir-"

"Michael" I correct them.

"Eh... Michael. She's not necessarily... okay..." the small woman says gently.