2 | apple pie

'Jonny, stop it!' I growled, trying not to lose my cool, or laugh, at his hilarious impressions of two reality TV stars who were currently making quite a stir in the news because they'd attempted to trash the set.

Hide and Seek followed a simple premise: a group of every day people, albeit more attractive than ordinary folks, were running and hiding from another group of people called The Chasers. It was sort of like a Hunger Games equivalent for the modern day and it was attracting a lot of social media attention, not only for the cut-throat action but the romances between two of the hottest people on the show Gary and Priscilla.

My friend and coworker Jonny Pollack was reenacting the emotional theatrics between them in the last episode shown last night and I was cracking up at the accuracy of his mimicry.

I spluttered out, 'I think their romance is genuine.'

He looked at me with a raised eyebrow, unconvinced. 'Trust you to fall for the romance element, Candy.'

Jonny leaned forward and pinched my cheek and I batted his hand away.

'I told you not to do that, you bully!'

One thing I hated most in the world, although I actually tried to see the positive in everything, was when someone tried to pinch my cheeks as though I was some baby.

I may have looked young but I was seventeen and it was discouraging how some people still presumed that I was young enough to be offered child prices (not that I minded). It was a huge treat to get cheap meals whenever I went out with my mates. Despite their ribbing, I liked the benefits my baby face seemed to provide me.

Jonny laughed at my scowl; his grey eyes were sparkling with amusement. 'Even when you're pissed off with me, you're still cute.'

Jonny was about two years older than me. A philosophy undergrad. He lamented that his degree was such a doss at almost every opportunity he could get.

My father had hired him last summer, or five months ago to be exact, and he was a lot of fun to be around as well as being a quick learner.

I knew that he was interested in me, but I didn't know if I liked him in that way. Sure, he was good-looking and funny, but I just didn't feel a spark with him, so I contented myself with harmlessly flirting with him every so often.

As I began to make a smart remark, I heard someone clear their throat, none too gently.

'Entertaining as it may be watching you giggle like an idiot, girl,' a deep, disgruntled voice interrupted us, 'can I get some service here? I'm freezing my balls off.'

Grumpy was glowering at me across the counter. He was clothed in a black wool coat artfully unbuttoned to show off his wool jumper.

His light brown hair was damp and tossed from the rain and wind. He didn't look like he wanted to be here, let alone communicate with anyone. It was like a big sign was hanging over his neck declaring in big letters: 

DO NOT MESS WITH ME.

Surprised at his tone, Jonny looked at the guy and then at me questioningly. I shrugged my shoulders, exhaling deeply, which made a corner of his mouth lift slightly.

'Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed...' he muttered.

I snorted.

Meanwhile, Grumpy looked as if he was going to take one of the freshly baked apple pies on the counter and smash it on either one of our faces.

Jonny asked me if I wanted to deal with him or should he.

I assured him that I'd be fine. This guy wasn't anything new. He'd popped into the bakery the day before.

With a shake of his head, Jonny headed over to the kitchen to get the next batch of baked goodies, leaving me with Grumpy.

I forced a polite smile on my face and turned my eyes on him, expectantly. 'What can I get you?'

Grumpy made a clicking sound with his teeth. 'About time. I'll have an espresso. Eat in.'

'Will you now?' I was smiling, but he didn't even smile back. 'That good, eh?' I persisted, trying to raise a smile, but this guy was a hard one to please.

He merely looked at me like I was an annoying pebble stuck in his shoe.

While I was making his espresso, I hummed under my breath 'These Are A Few Of My Favourite Things' from The Sound of Music. I loved musicals. They had such chirpy musical numbers and whenever I felt like I was having a particularly bad day, I would settle down with some macaroons and a steaming mug of cinnamon spiced tea, watching anything Julie Andrews related. It always brought a big smile to my face.

As I was setting the cup in front of him, Grumpy almost made me drop the cup. 'Adequate. I've tasted better.'

There was a patronising half-smile on his face. Again, not particularly warm, but it was a start.

I sighed and took his money, making a half-hearted attempt to ask him if he wanted to try one of our brownie samples, but the look of confusion over his face was enough to persuade me that he wasn't into brownies.

That was sacrilegious in my book, but I made no comment, wanting to get him off my hands as fast as possible.

He must have sensed that too as he didn't automatically leave me as he had before. Instead, he was staring at my chest and I looked down self-conscious. Was there a bit of flour on my apron? I gawped when he let out a curt laugh. 'You can't be serious.' He pointed to my chest.

I swallowed, feeling my face go red. 'What?'

He leaned forward a little making my heart thump madly. His blue eyes met my curious hazel ones. 'Candice. That's your name. Candice the Bakery girl.'

I glanced down at my name tag.

'Ah!' I chuckled, getting it now. 'Yeah, my dad owns this place. He liked the name, so he named his bakery after me.'

'Weird sense of humour,' Grumpy muttered, dragging his eyes away, picking up his cup and beginning to search for a table.

It was just after lunch and his window seat was currently occupied by a woman working hard on her laptop.

'Have a nice day!' I called out, without much thought. He looked as though he needed it.

He made no attempt at speaking, but I received a nod for my efforts.

At least I was getting somewhere.