4 | mince pies

My dad had set me on mince pie duty which meant that I was now standing outside, in the freezing cold, with a tray of mince pie samples, a big smile on my face. I didn't really mind, to be honest. It was interesting seeing the types of folks who accepted my freebies. I swivelled around and saw a middle-aged businessman in a black rain jacket and a brown trilby heading my way and I smiled his way.

'Would you like to try a mince pie, sir?'

He continued walking then he did a backwards shuffle, grinning at me as though he'd had a change of heart. After stopping and gazing at the tray balanced in my hands, he looked uncertain.

'They're mince pies, correct?'

I nodded. 'Yes. But they're not the typical mince pies. Made from my dad's special recipe. He likes to put his own little twist on traditional puddings and pastries. This one's made of white chocolate and cherry with some mince while this one has a bit of a boozy hit...' I explained the four different versions of mince pie samples on my tray and the businessman, whose name I discovered was Laurence, was soon spoilt for choice.

'My wife wouldn't be too pleased with me...' He looked embarrassed, eyes still fixed on the mince pies. 'I'm supposed to be cutting back on the puddings.'

I leaned forward and smiled, eyes flitting between his conflicted ones. 'She need never know, sir. Go on! Treat yourself!' I felt as though I was the devil of puddings and the guy broke into a grin and winked at me.

He soon tucked into the boozy mince pies and released a sigh of pleasure. 'Top notch puddings. You said your dad owns this bakery,' he said, nodding at the shop front.

I offered him a different sample, which he eagerly accepted. 'Yes. He was mentored by a Michelin starred pastry chef. Michel Noir, you may have heard of him. He's on the TV.'

The guy looked noticeably impressed and whistled. 'Gilda, my wife, is a huge fan of Noir. I must visited your bakery now.'

'Be our guest...' I made a grand gesture with my hand to his delight.

'What's this?' Someone tapped me on the shoulder. 'Santa's little helper passing out treats?'

My smile faded as I took in the face of Zachary Malone aka. Mr Scrooge's descendant.

As he took in my clear dislike of him, Zachary blue eyes twinkled like Christmas lights. It was a surprise that he'd decided to return back to the shop a day after he'd graced us with his patronage.

'Hello, Zachary. Mince pie?' I said, in what I hoped was a bored tone, because even though he was a highly unpleasant creature, he did look particularly good-looking today. The grinch was dressed in his usual preppy style: smart jumper and blazer combination in carefully coordinated, muted shades coupled with a moody expression.

Zachary's attention shifted to my tray and he screwed up his nose.

Seeing this, Laurence patted him on the back jovially and Zachary stared at him like he was diseased.

Although Laurence didn't seem to have noticed, so taken was he with our mince pies. 'Give it a try. Best little buggers I've tried. I've walked past this bakery many times without ever stepping in.'

'Maybe it would have been better if you continued walking,' Zachary said wryly, eyes taking in his rather portly form.

Laurence laughed good-naturedly and patted his stomach. 'Perhaps you're right, old chap.'

The look on Zachary's face was a joy to see and Laurence gave me a little wink before he went inside, enveloped by the warmth of our bakery.

I expected Zachary to follow after him and went to work trying to attract new customers.

However, the guy was still standing their beside me like he was my shadow.

'Aren't you going to persuade me, Candice? Like you did with Mr Tubby.'

I shook my head, gritting my teeth, glancing at my watch seeing if I could go in now. He didn't seem put off by my disinterest. If anything, he seemed energised by it.

'Now you're ignoring me?' Zachary snorted. 'I'm hurt.'

I swivelled around to face him again. 'Why should I bother? It's not like you're going to try one. Besides it would be a waste of a pie.'

He pretended to give me a shocked look. He released a growl of a laugh, the rather cruel, deep one I was becoming accustomed to. It was grating. He was grating.

'What happened to the customer always coming first?' he declared, as though he'd already won the game.

He enjoyed provoking me. But maybe he actually really did enjoy our bakery as he was now heading towards the door.

Before I could have a chance to feel bad about my treatment to him, I called out, 'Zach. These are the best mince pies in the world. And if you don't try them while they're free, you're going to kick yourself.'

He still had the door open and his eyes narrowed as he took my words in; for him, my approach was highly unexpected. I was like a skater on ice, running circles around him.

'And what happens if I don't give a damn about eating a mince pie, however tempting the seller...' His tone was ice cool, sending shivers down me.

I smiled sweetly. 'I would be eternally grateful if you would have a bite.'

Staring at me, he licked his lips, torn between going inside or heading my way. As if by magic, he let go of the door and came back to me, choosing the cherry amoretto one.

I shrieked as he wearily tasted it. Upon realising that it wasn't poisonous, he gobbled it in less than three bites.

'Not bad,' he grunted. 'However, my mum's blows this one straight out of the water...'

Bittersweet Zachary always had to treat our interactions as if he was competing with me.

It left a sour taste in my mouth.