28 | friend

Throughout the whole of the main course, they threw thinly veiled jibes at each other regarding their tastes in music, sports and, even disconcertingly enough, degrees.

Jonny, who was forever complaining to me about his choice of philosophy was now defending his reviled course from the rich poster boy of STEM, who was taunting him about how philosophy was pointless in this day and age; 'the era where science and logic ruled men's minds', according to Zachary's view.

'That's complete and utter bollacks!' Jonny protested, throwing down his napkin, 'Not everything has to have a fixed answer. Just because something is factually accurate it doesn't mean that you can rule out emotion as a key mode of understanding human behaviour and relationships.'

'Facts. I need facts,' Zachary shot back.

'Of course you do,' I rolled my eyes, but as I looked upwards I was distracted by one of the the paintings showing what looked like an eagle devouring a saint.

It didn't look too pretty, I noted. I shuddered at the gruesome art work.

'Why don't you go back to the lecture hall, then?' Jonny told Zachary, unwilling to get riled up further, but from the way he leaned back in his seat and the way his hand was clenched in a fist I knew that he was trying to curb his temper.

'Better pickings elsewhere. The girls aren't really my type. Not much in the way of brains and beauty...' Zachary said evenly.

His eyes landed on mine smoothly; they seemed to sparkle. He seemed to find the whole situation great entertainment. My cheeks and neck must have been flushed. Yet, it was hard not to feel flattered at the suggestion, at his flattery, at his easy demeanour.

Out of nervousness, I quickly gulped the remainder of my drink, hoping that Jonny, being as perceptive as he was, wouldn't misinterpret the tension between us as interest on my part.

Jonny looked at Zachary with distaste.

He leaned forward, hands on the table, and smiled grimly. 'I think you're being very obvious. It isn't working.'

Zachary's eyes widened as though he hadn't expected Jonny to show any spirit.

Duh, he was Scottish!

'Well, I am impressed.' He turned to me with a wicked smile. 'Candice, you certainly know how to pick them. I'm guessing Jonno is the one who wears the trousers in your relationship.'

Jonny was about to intervene, but I held up my hand, and quickly spoke to Zachary, 'I—We appreciate you inviting us out and you helping my dad, but Jonny gets upset when you attempt to flirt with me—'

'I'm not upset—' Jonny.

'Candice says otherwise.' Zach.

'Upset, angry, annoyed, fill in the blanks,' I said in a bored tone, growing slightly frustrated with both of them.

'I think we just need to calm down and enjoy each other's company. Are you always this flirty?' I said to Zachary without thinking.

Jonny looked at me sharply, but before he could answer, Zachary cut in, 'I don't think you'd like my answer, so I'll keep my mouth shut.'

An uncomfortable, miserable silence befell the table.

I sucked in my breath, hoping that the arrival of our desserts would sweeten everyone up.

It did no such thing. Even though the mouth-watering desert (a cranberry and orange torte with creamy vanilla bean ice cream) was to-die-for, I felt like no one wanted to be there any longer than they had to.

My attempts to encourage conversation with the two were met with grunts and laboured responses which depressed my enthusiasm.

Zachary and Jonny weren't even looking at each other; Jonny was eating his desert quickly as though he wanted to leave soon while Zachary hardly touched his as though he too was bored of our company.

Occasionally, I'd catch him look up at me and smile mysteriously when my boyfriend wasn't looking.

He seemed strangely content, but I might have imagined it, for as soon as I raised an eyebrow as if too say 'What?', he dragged his eyes away, leaving me feeling disappointed and curious.

He knew I wasn't going to disturb the peace, not while Jonny was still there, but his presence confused me.

His unpredictability was like a confusing cake recipe to be baked.

* * *

He paid the bill for us and I shook hands with him stiffly. Jonny thanked him through gritted teeth and I wished Zachary goodnight. My boyfriend strode ahead to collect our coats.

Zachary and I were alone at the table; I remembered to rummage in my purse for the homemade chocolates I'd made for him, wrapped up neatly with a yellow ribbon.

'Here you go,' I said shyly, 'thank you for treating us. This is from Jonny and me.'

At first, Zachary look surprised, but then a brief smile settled on his features. The sun momentarily appearing in the sky after the evening's tempestuous turn of events.

He told me he was pleased to share the experience with a friend. Would I mind joining him again?

However much I would have liked to, I said it wasn't up to me.

He forced a smile. He wasn't too pleased with my response, but he graciously made his exit along with us, as if he'd got a 'yes' from me anyway.

 He wasn't too pleased with my response, but he graciously made his exit along with us, as if he'd got a 'yes' from me anyway